RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
FinsUpDNC

How Do You Use Your Rt?

ctitanic

And that said, this brings us to the next logical question, do you believe that PC are dead? Well, at least they could not be called any more PC. Would you call the XBOX ONE a PC? But that's what it's. A PC running 3 OS in different layers. What happens is that it's not Personal any more. It's a dedicated Computer. A computer that will take care of all your Computing needs (I'm not saying that the XBOX ONE does, I'm using it as An example because it's the closest thing we currently have to the concept of the future in the way I see it.

FinsUpDNC

In my case probably would be easy to say those things that I don't do in my Surface RT.

I have been using for more than 20 years all kind of mobile computers as my main PC, from Laptops, TabletPC, UMPC and Tablets.

When I began using UMPC I quickly comprehended that those and later on the Tablets are companion PCs, they are here to complement our computing needs in an era of full connectivity and constant communication. And about two years ago I bought an iPad 2 which I quickly converted and my only PC I used at home and that forced me to find workarounds to all the shortcomings of the iPad + the Tablet platform. The solution, very simple, prepare a PC as you home media server. With that PC constantly on I connected my iPad to it to do everything could not be done in the iPad. That configuration is to me the ideal for those willing to forget the idea of having to sit at home on front of a desk to use a PC.

Later last year when Microsoft released the Surface RT I was one of the first ones to get one. My set up and experience with my ex-iPad served me to overcome the lack of  applications in the first few months after the release. So once again I'm using my Surface RT as my primary PC at home, connecting to my Media Server using remote desktop whenever I do tasks that can't be done in my Surface RT. For example, copying and converting a DVD movie to mkv. Why I should even think about using the limited Surface resources for a task like that? Yes, it could be probably done in a Surface RT if the needed Software becomes available but the fact is that you can't pack yet in any Tablet the amount of hardware resources that you can put in any desktop. So it's more logical to just connect remotely to a desktop and from your surface control remotely the tasks/Software needed to copy and convert a DVD. The same thing happen with other activities such as video editing, etc.

Comparing my iPad 2 with my Surface RT, I gained with the RT the control of my device, something that I never fully had in my iPad which I had to constantly jailbreak to have just some control.

I'm enjoying my Surface RT every single day. And I do in or from my Surface RT everything I need to do in a PC.

Great response, will def be using this on the podcast.

FinsUpDNC

And that said, this brings us to the next logical question, do you believe that PC are dead? Well, at least they could not be called any more PC. Would you call the XBOX ONE a PC? But that's what it's. A PC running 3 OS in different layers. What happens is that it's not Personal any more. It's a dedicated Computer. A computer that will take care of all your Computing needs (I'm not saying that the XBOX ONE does, I'm using it as An example because it's the closest thing we currently have to the concept of the future in the way I see it.

as with any technology, the definition will have to change. like you a tablet right now is not powerful enough to do everything I do.  However, we will be moving to more and more thin clients as we move more processing power to the cloud through azure, aws, etc.  the thing holding us back most right now is not the cloud computing power, but lack of good enough broadband in a lot of places.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

Let's face it: no matter how much power can get packed into a tablet, that same technology, or something even more powerful, will always make a desktop way more powerful than a tablet. The real question will be if a tablet will ever have enough power to make it unnecessary to use a desktop.

The average user surface the web, reads email, Facebook and Twitter. They don't use/need the power of a desktop or even a laptop. That is why average users do not need a desktop.

ikon

I think you're forgetting about the aging population. Already I find the 10" size of the Surface Pro a bit on small side. As time goes on, I think screen size is going to become more and more of an issue.

ctitanic

as with any technology, the definition will have to change. like you a tablet right now is not powerful enough to do everything I do.  However, we will be moving to more and more thin clients as we move more processing power to the cloud through azure, aws, etc.  the thing holding us back most right now is not the cloud computing power, but lack of good enough broadband in a lot of places.

Totally agree. That and the fair that in some kind of natural disaster we get disconnected from that computing power. And if you are living in South Florida for sure you know what I'm talking about.

ctitanic

I think you're forgetting about the aging population. Already I find the 10" size of the Surface Pro a bit on small side. As time goes on, I think screen size is going to become more and more of an issue.

I disagree, to say that is the equivalent to say that old people do not read books, news papers, etc. On the contrary, a Tablet with it's zooming capability is An unbeatable tool of old seniors.  

The average user surface the web, reads email, Facebook and Twitter. They don't use/need the power of a desktop or even a laptop. That is why average users do not need a desktop.

Totally agree too. The average user does not need more power than what we currently have in the existent Tablet, that the secret of it's popularity.

Great response, will def be using this on the podcast.

Feel free. B)

ikon

I disagree, to say that is the equivalent to say that old people do not read books, news papers, etc. On the contrary, a Tablet with it's zooming capability is An unbeatable tool of old seniors.

Well, being one of those old seniors, I can agree that the zoom capability is helpful, particularly being able to double-tap on the screen in IE to enlarge the current object to the width of the screen. However, I don't think it will be too many more years before the SP's screen size won't be enough. And, unfortunately, that capability doesn't help me at all in non-IE apps :( I hope more & more apps will get that ability as time goes on.

ctitanic

Well, being one of those old seniors, I can agree that the zoom capability is helpful, particularly being able to double-tap on the screen in IE to enlarge the current object to the width of the screen. However, I don't think it will be too many more years before the SP's screen size won't be enough. And, unfortunately, that capability doesn't help me at all in non-IE apps :( I hope more & more apps will get that ability as time goes on.

Do not feel bad, I turn 50 this year so I'm close. Keep your mind open and the technology will help you. This is my message to you. And for what I can see that's not a hard thing for you to do. B)

ikon

50. Hmmm, I can sort of remember being that age, although it gets harder & harder every year to look that far over my shoulder as my neck gets stiffer & stiffer.

EDIT: without getting too specific, I can say I wrote my first professional computer program in 1965. :)

Edited by Ikon