RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
FinsUpDNC

How Do You Use Your Rt?

FinsUpDNC

This is awesome! This device has a place in our technology life, and you are all proving that point. 

bobsageek

Finally a message board discussion I can get behind. I have no need for any legacy app besides Office (and we'll see Metro-fied Office soon enough) so for me, RT is a desktop replacement. I'm an IT manager so on meeting heavy days it's a life saver with endless battery life and OneNote MX. And off-time it's the best of both worlds, excellent for consumption and with a real Office suite I can open attachments or update files for work, upload to SkyDrive and not hop between devices. Best touch interface out there plus Zombies!! and Xbox Achievements.

I should add, I bought a Surface RT, exchanged it for a Pro and just last week went back to RT. The battery life and form factor far outweigh any minor app issues. Microsoft needs to get the word out, this is the ideal Windows 8 experience.

Edited by bobsageek

JBresky

I got my husband to buy me surface and bring it home to Sweden before it was released here. From the beginning I intended to have it replacing my old iPad 1 and be a companion to my iMac desktop. Now however I only use the iMac for storing my DSLR pictures. Everything else I do on my surface RT, banking, YouTube, twitter, real web browser, email and so on. Only thing I miss is a zinio app. It is not available in Europe.

bdegrande

My RT device is an Asus VivoTab RT. I also have an iPad.

I use it frequently for media playback. The widescreen format works well for video and HDMI out is also a plus.  I am a host of a Dexter podcast, The Dexter Cast, and I keep a couple of seasons worth of episodes on a micro SD card. The multitasking lets me keep a notes app open while a watch and I can swipe between them to take notes.  I also use Netflix pretty heavily.

I do lots of social media - Twitter, Facebook, App,net, and have found good apps for all of them,

Office. As an example, last year I did my fantasy baseball draft on a spreadsheet on a laptop, this year I used the VivoTab RT It had a good spreadsheet in Excel, was lighter, and, with the second battery in the keyboard, got WAY better battery life than my laptop (about 15 hours) I didn't even bother to carry the power supply, and the USB port (or Bluetooth) let me use a mouse.

Gaming. I don't do a lot of gaming, but Jetpack Joyride and Radiant Defense are a couple of my favorites.

Skype, I have called into podcasts on the road.

There are still a couple of things I would like to do that I can't. I would like to edit podcasts, but I haven't seen any sort of audio editor. I don't even need multitrack.  Also, this is the only platform I have seen that Plants vs. Zombies isn't on, even the BlackBerry PlayBook has it.

flyboyco

I spend a lot of my time giving presentations to architects and contractors.  I carry it in a messenger bag with a projector and several HDMI adapters.  Many of the offices I visit have big screens or projectors that I connect to using the HDMI or VGA adapter.  The PowerPoint app works great, but is a little slow.  We spend as much time talking about the Surface as we do discussing my products.

I tether it off my Lumia 920 when I need internet at jobsites, and can access many manufacturer's websites for product manuals.  I also charge the 920 off the RT, it's slow, but works fine.

I can access our terminal server at work with the remote desktop connector or any of my computers or servers at home using Team Viewer if I need a more capabilities than the RT can deliver.

I also use it for accessing our sales software on IE (would not work in Safari on iPad), all my social media, my 5-year old loves the Netflix app!

I NEVER carry the charger unless I travel for more than 2 days!

ikon

Sorry, a little OT; how are you tethering to your 920?

FinsUpDNC

Sorry, a little OT; how are you tethering to your 920?

You can share your 920's internet connection pretty easy.  In your settings, you just turn it on and you have a Wifi hotspot. Some carriers might be blocking this feature (not sure), but on ATT mine was there from day 1 and works great. 

ikon

Thanks. I hadn't tried to do this before - I usually just ask if a location has WiFi. I can confirm that it also works with a Nokia 900.

'Course I'm ticked off with you cause you didn't post it earlier yesterday so I could've used it at my in-laws last night :D

schoondoggy

Thanks. I hadn't tried to do this before - I usually just ask if a location has WiFi. I can confirm that it also works with a Nokia 900.

'Course I'm ticked off with you cause you didn't post it earlier yesterday so I could've used it at my in-laws last night :D

It is a option, so your carrier needs to support it.

ikon

Yeah, got that. Fortunately, mine does :)