RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
FinsUpDNC

How Do You Use Your Rt?

FinsUpDNC

I saw the official Surface twitter account ask this question on Twitter, so thought it would be fun to ask that here.  I am going to read a few on our podcast! 

RMansfield

I use mine to download my students' papers from Blackboard, grade them using the commenting system in Word, and then upload them back to Blackboard. 

These are both things that I cannot do on my iPad. My iPad will not allow me to access the entire Blackboard site (specifically move the cells displaying the students' grades). And I can't grade papers on my iPad. I use Word's internal commenting system, and without Word on the iPad, I had to use my laptop or nothing before I got my Surface RT. Now I can grab a corner table at Starbucks with nothing but the Surface RT and get quite a lot of work done. I enjoy the freedom to travel light, without having to lug my entire laptop bag around.

FinsUpDNC

That is awesome! Thanks for the quick response.  If you don't mind me asking, what do you teach? I thought RT had a real advantage for this and many reasons in the education market. 

RMansfield

I teach Philosophy and Bible classes for Indiana Wesleyan University, both online and onsite (the latter primarily at the Louisville, Kentucky campus). 

I've discovered that PowerPoint with the RT depends heavily on the resolution of the projector. I had a dismal experience teaching from the RT at church a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't tried it in an IWU classroom yet. However, I'm beginning a new philosophy class tonight, and I thought I might go to my classroom early and see how their projectors work with the RT. Their projectors are pretty new, so I'm hoping the native resolution is high enough to use with the Surface RT. If it is, I may try teaching an entire four-hour class from it next week.

RMansfield

That is awesome! Thanks for the quick response.  If you don't mind me aI thought RT had a real advantage for this and many reasons in the education market. 

Let me add one other thing in this regard-- As far as I know, no document editor on the iPad will allow a user to format a paper with a different header on the cover page than on the following pages (which is required by most style guides). Having a true version of Word would allow a student to create a paper that wouldn't get docked for not adhering to the style guide. This makes the Surface RT more advantageous to a student over an iPad for writing papers.

Don't hear me trying to bash the iPad here--I have both and I try to stay neutral in the platform wars. But this is a simple reality at the present until Microsoft releases Word for iOS (as has been rumored). 

Mochahead

I use my RT as a companion device. I have a work PC and a personal PC (and an iMacPro, just for variety). The thing I love about the RT is that it is so flexible. I can do personal email, read Internet sites, post in forums, take advantage of entertainment, etc., but I also can take it to work instead of my work laptop, attend meetings, and stay productive throughout the day, all on the same device. I went on vacation in April and just took my phone and the RT. It was all I needed and then some.

I don't try to make my RT take the place of my PCs--I am satisfied with the functionality it offers. I was never tempted by an iPad. I have an iPod Touch, and anything I needed to do in that ecosystem, I could do on the Touch or on the Mac laptop. I needed a device that did more than allow me to consume information, and iPad just wasn't enough.

Not everyone in my family feels the same way. We tried to buy a Surface Pro on the weekend (the local Microsoft store was sold out of the 128 GB model). The lure of being able to play PC games on the Surface form factor was just too great for them.

FinsUpDNC

thanks! keep those responses coming, these would be better ad's for the device compared to dancing kids. 

surfaceRT

I use my RT as my personal laptop replacement. My personal laptop hasn't been turned on since I got my RT when they launched. I use it for email, office documents, internet browsing, video/audio media, and extending to a TV via HDMI. For me, there is nothing that I was using my personal laptop for that the RT can't do. That being said, I don't expect surface to replace all of my computers.

I recently took a trip, and loaded up a some movies on my microSD card and it was fantastic. 4 hours of movie watching on the plane and I still had a 70% charge when I landed. When I first took out my RT on the flight, the people sitting next to me instantly asked "is that the surface? we want one of those". About 3/4 of the way through the flight their laptop battery was dead but the RT was still going strong.

One complaint that I have is that the Windows phone 8, and Windows 8 RT ecosystems are not integrated very well. Sounds like the Windows Blue initiative may solve some of those issues.

Edited by surfaceRT

DerAusgewanderte

I tweeted to that same twitter post ;) I use my RT at work and home. OneNote is the most useful application which I use in meetings and presentations. Next comes Word in which I work on my research papers, then Powerpoint for presentations and Excel for Program Management. I've taken the RT to National meetings (APS, MRS) to give presentations. One part that I am missing at the moment is a third party reference manager like Endnote. I had to relearn how to use Words internal reference manager for now.

Back home from work I use it to read on boards, email, facebook, twitter and watch the News.

I like the fact that I can plug in my Common Access Card reader and access my .mil emails.

Friends and coworkers express interest in trying out the surface once they see that it can do everything the iPad can do and more (try to use a CAC reader with an iPad..).

I totally agree with SurfaceRT's comment on the WP8 integration.  It is pathetic I'd say. I have a Lumia920 and something simple as Bluetooth transfer is a PITA.

schoondoggy

I have been experimenting with the RT as a work laptop replacement.

I am in the process of getting a new ultra book for work, then the RT will become my personal device to take on the road when I travel.

The RT is my main consumption device.