RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dewain27

Does Darren Or Dave Read The Forums?

Dewain27

Darren and Dave,

Do you guys read or check your own forums?  I am just curious.  I was listening to this week's show and a little dismayed that I had done a complete writeup on a USB 3.0 Docking station. 

http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/385-surface-pro-usb-30-docking-station-review-plugable-ud-3000/

I heard you guys going on about the Lenovo solution and had questions about how things work and just general questions.  I was a little disappointed to hear you both talking about the meetup and wanting to get things like this lined up.  I don't get why you don't search your own forums before doing your show about the show notes.  As you are building a site that is or should be the go to place for surface information, you should leverage the community to be more leaders.

Since I am airing my frustrations, and please take this as constructive.  I would like to see you guys think about getting behind the device beyond casual use and the ecosystem of the solution.  So, start doing the whole package: Xbox Music, Xbox Video, Xbox 360, Outlook.com, Skype, One Note, SkyDrive, Home Server, Media Center, Windows Phone, and etc.  If you want to be the go to site for these technologies, then you got to commit.  I do all this and find it increasingly an issue with your podcast to hear you guys talk about the great solutions on things like why Spotify is so great and me as a Xbox Music subscriber is yawning thinking that Spotify is not in the same league with Xbox Music.  I would be happy to do a heads up comparison on these services or that would be a great topic.  It seems this is a hobby and I think the audience is picking up and needs to get a little more on the topic of Surface and its power and the power of the ecosystem.  It is hard for me to follow some of the logic as to why each of you are not actively leveraging the power of Surface + Xbox Music + Windows Phone + Xbox.  Example: The streaming show is so not an issue if you are leveraging these solutions all together.  See my post here:

http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/378-so-you-asked-and-i-am-responding/

Second post in this topic goes into how to provide music, video and so on... Happy to come on and discuss this or any other setup on your show.  I just feel like you got to move this beyond just the hardware and you are going to get tons of people who are Microsoft centric.  I hope you take this a fan trying to contribute and helping give you feedback on where I would like to see you guys go.  I really don't want to hear about the value of Google+ as I have no plans of going to that and have no desire to hear about the value of Evernote unless it is compared to One Note in an educated manor.

Thanks,

Dewain

CommonTek

I myself have wondered the same, I feel like the show is very fragmented at times, that they talk in circles, and that topics aren't just beaten to death but revived the next week and beaten some more. 

I think it would be neat to have known supporters of other platforms on to compare trajectories of each others ecosystems, and to discuss what we like and hate from each and how we can learn and grow.  An occasional point - counter point might be fun.

I listen every week and want so badly to love the show so I can recommend it to others, but I just can't right now, I like it, just don't love it.

Edited by TabletJunkie

LawnPaul

Hmm, neither has replied yet. Considering they are trying to get more people on the forums, and advertise the forums during the podcast, you would think that one of them would have replied by now.

Dave

Yikes!

I totally forgot about the Plugable Dock solution.  Thanks for the "gentle" reminder.  I don't think we were going on and on about the Lenovo but we did like it and likewise will talk about the Plugable. 

I reference the forums tremendously as anyone from my other podcast can attest.  Sometimes I just miss something and a gentle nudge always helps.  I'm not perfect. 

As for this topic, i'm not happy to say that I didn't see it at all.  I haven't been in the forums for several days honestly. If my kids arently deathly ill I have been. So much in fact that there won't be a podcast on 4/24.

I love the suggestions.  I'm evolving too.  The only MS options I have yet to fire up I've at least mentioned and have tried starting.  Mostly WP8, Outlook.com, and OneNote.  I understand the jumping in issue.  I get it.  I'm trying and it doesn't happen overnight.  At least it doesn't with me.  I use different stuff too. I'm not all in with any one company.  I will not buy or use something made by "company x" just because they made it. It has to fit me and my family.  I will try it and compare it however.  So don't get peeved if I'm not 101% onboard with every single product made by MS.  It might work for you and if it does and I'm not a fan I'll usually get that product/person onto the podcast to discuss it.  That's how I roll my other podcast.  I try to be fair but I'm also real with you.  I'm also brutally honest with you.  If I don't like I will tell you and tell you why. You have a right to disagree and a lot will.  At least you will know where I stand.

Thank you for coming out here and putting those thoughts down. Especially in a constructive manner. It means a lot to me that people do that.  It's much better than the e-mail stating "Linux rules, you suck."   Please don't forget that this is not my day job.  A lot of stuff comes before this but I do try to make this community the best it can be.  I do try to spend time out here in the forums too.  Life sometimes takes over so thank you for understanding.

Dave

Dewain27

Dave,

Thanks for the response.  I guess my point was not around one company being great and lets do all that.  It is more that there is more to Surface than the device just as there is more to the iPad than just the device.  As an Apple user with your iPhone you know that Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod, and iTunes all work together and make a much better story.  I think Surface is that type of device.  Your mileage with other tech items will vary.  It is hard to have great expectations of Google services on Microsoft and you should expect a sub-par experience over other platforms.  Example: GMail should and probably is better on Android than it is on Windows 8 and Surface.  That is expected.  This said a proper comparison of tech would be GMail and Android vs. Outlook.com and Surface.  I think you will find that this will net you a better evaluation.  My frustration is more that I can see people joining to listen the SurfaceGeeks podcast and that would be their expectation.  I think to truly evaluate that comparison above is also GMail on Surface vs. Outlook.com on Android.  I think that is a fair comparison as well.  I guess I just want to see you guys move more mainstream with the content.  Again, not a slam in any way more a suggestion.  I love when you guys go over tech news and your thoughts.  I was just more focused on things like.... Hey guys here's how that applies to your Surface (if appropriate).  Here are some topics that I would love to see.

• OneNote vs Evernote:  All up comparison and then a Surface User focused perspective (which is better for dedicated Surface user only).  I think the two of you should take one of them each and battle it out.
  • Nokia Music vs Spotify vs Xbox Music vs Pandora as a Surface User don't go into the other phones and such as that will be slanted by the platform you are running on and as Surface Geeks you can add commentary on how it extended out, but focus on the experience on the Surface.
  • Xbox Smartglass on Surface vs iOS vs Android
  • Tip of the week... come on lets just steal it from Paul... why not...?  Working for him... Why not ask him to be on the show?  How about Mary Jo Foley?  Offer to fit it around their schedule.  Maybe Rob Greenlee can help you get that setup.  I can ask Mary Jo from my Microsoft account.

Hope this helps... I just think you guys have an opportunity to make this something more than a hobby if you would like.  I know it is not your day job, but play your cards right and maybe it is...  This is definitely the path to getting loaners and such.

ikon

Dewain27, would MS permit you to go on a podcast like this?

Dave

Thanks for your feedback again.  It's funny you mention the show ideas because Darren and I have a list of shows and Music is on top of our list just as you stated.  The OneNote vs. Evernote comparison has been on my list for some time now and I promise we will get to it.

MJF has agreed to come on the show but i've yet to pull that trigger.  I'm betting Paul would as well since I have interviewed him on The Home Server Show Podcast.

Thanks again for caring and giving feedback.  I appreciate it and as I told someone else today, I am learning every day how to do this.  Even though I have over 220 shows on another podcast I still learn every day.  You guys help shape the community and the podcast and I do listen to your feedback and concerns.  So, onward we go and we will get back to the heart of the show and why I started it. 

Dave

RMansfield

Speaking of all this, was there not a podcast last night? I keep refreshing my podcast feed and there's not been a new SurfaceGeeks podcast for this week.

ikon

No podcast last night due to illness in the McCabe household.

RMansfield

Sorry to hear that--I hope that everyone is feeling better soon!