RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RMansfield

Has Anyone Used Powerpoint On The Rt With A Projector Extensively Yet?

ikon

I would give it a try.

ikon

So that answers my question about whether the RT can do 720p - it can't.

schoondoggy

So that answers my question about whether the RT can do 720p - it can't.

native video range for the RT is 1366x768-1920x1080. It will try to drive lower resolutions on the VGA connection, but sometimes it gets jittery. On HDMI 1080 is fine, 720 is hit and miss. They really should make HDMI work reliable with 720 for connectivity with 720 TV's.

ikon

That's interesting. I didn't think the RT could do 1080.

Surfacenovice

been using the RT occasionally for PPT and it works great but have a problem when I want to show the audience a website. Though I embedded the hyperlink into the PPT, it will open up on my RT screen but unable to show on the projected screen. I am using a Epson projector with the HDMI adapter (the Microsoft accessory). Great resolution with the PPT and it does flicker a little (definitely the connection). The Microsoft store person said to just swipe it to the left to show the website but that did nothing.

is it the RT or do I need to get a different tablet/or ultrabook to do PPT presentations? I thought the RT was great and light and I am not willing to spend $1000 for the Pro. Any suggestions?

schoondoggy

Are you cloning or extending your display to the projector?

What is the resolution on the projector?

Surfacenovice

Extending the display to the projector. It's an Epson Powerlite S11 Business Project, SVGA Resolution 800x600.

pfinter

I haven't used it with a projector but, I've extended to a 1080p TV on several occasions to teach a class using PPT. I didn't have any issues. I normally run the presenter view on the Surface and the show on TV.

It's possible that the 800x600 resolution isn't supported well. I seem to recall lots of issues with displaying to devices that weren't at least 720p or greater. I suggest searching for issues with the 800x600 resolution and the Surface RT

Another thing you might look into is not using the HDMI connection but instead using a VGA connection. I found one on Amazon for $48:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-VGA-Adapter-Surface/dp/B00A5TXSCI/ref=sr_1_1/180-0166794-9312129?ie=UTF8&qid=1399052348&sr=8-1&keywords=surface+rt+vga

Or the Microsoft Store for $39

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-VGA-Adapter/productID.256146000

Never used one but I assume it would allow for more resolutions than an HDMI only connection.

Perhaps someone else will comment on the VGA adapter thought and would know more on the subject.

Surfacenovice

sorry, sorry - my error in describing the hook-up. I do use the MS accessory VGA adapter - we use a HDMI connector from Surface to our TV and whatever plays on the Surface via Internet, shows up on the TV. How come I cannot hook up a portable multi-drive (DVD) to the Surface to play a video and have it  show up through the projector? I have not copied the video yet into a avi format which I understand Surface RT may recognize?