RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
TheJason

Anybody Restore A Surface Pro From Server2012E Or Whs2011?

TheJason

I've been successfully backing up the C: partition of my Surface Pro to my Server2012E for about a week now.  But, I haven't tried to restore it yet.  Has anybody tried this using a recovery boot usb key?  How well has it worked?

ikon

I was backing up to WHS2011 and tried to restore several time, all unsuccessful. The USB key I created didn't seem to have the required NIC drivers.

I was able to backup and restore successfully using Macrium Reflect, but only by having the backup file(s) on a local drive attached to the Surface via USB.

I would love to have a way to do it via WHS2011 but I have to admit I haven't investigate that route all that much.

RonV42

Based on all my research yes you can backup with WHS 2011 but a bare metal restore will not work with the Surface. There is a patch from MS for the server that corrected the backup of GPT partitions with UEFI but it didn't update any drivers for the recovery boot disk/usb key for networking.

ArtieMcD

The WHS 2011 USB recovery client will not boot the Surface Pro.. But just like with WHS v1, if the recovery CD/USB doesn't work (or doesn't provide the WIFI/NIC drivers you need) just create yourself a Windows 2 Go (win 7 or 8) instance on a USB stick.. Boot into it (set up your network/install the drivers you need).. then run the clientrecoverywizard.exe and perform the BMR on the physical drive.

Windows 2 Go is nothing more than installing win 7/8 on a USB stick inside a .vhd file and setting the bootmanager on the usb key to boot the windows instance in the vhd file.     Every IT pro should have a Windows 2 Go USB key on their toolbelt.

ikon

thanks ArtieMcD. If you have any links on setting up a Win7 and Win8 Windows To Go I'm sure people would appreciate it.

ArtieMcD

thanks ArtieMcD. If you have any links on setting up a Win7 and Win8 Windows To Go I'm sure people would appreciate it.

The official doc on it is here... http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36184   But this uses the wizard inside windows 8 enterprise to create the USB media....      However anyone can create it manually...   Basically it's no different than installing Windows (or any OS inside a .vhd file).   On a windows 7 or 8 desktop, create a vhd file on a usb key.... (For speed you could create the vhd on a hard disk and then copy it over to the USB stick later...   You can even create a windows to go instance on an external SSD drive)

Then deploy a copy of windows into the .vhd file...   Either by using imagex to copy the bits from a Windows iso, or by using any windows 7 or 8 setup media and run the installer like you normally would... And mounting the .vhd file at the partition management screen.       Pretty much any guide describing how to install windows into a vhd will provide the steps.    The last part is to copy over the windows boot files to the USB stick to make it bootable and point boot loader to the windows copy in the vhd.     This has been supported since Windows 7 and a great way to dual boot any PC (even from a hard drive) and not have to deal with partitions and such (especially if you dual boot between Linux and window.)

Booting from a VHD is also another great way to run a test lab as you can deploy a refreshed OS instance by simply replacing the vhd with a clean one after each test run.   The OS will run on the bare metal with full access to all the hardware with only the disk being a virtual instance as an alternative to virtualization where you are actually running against the hypervisor the hardware that is exposed through it.

The downside of Windows 2 go is the activation licensing issues.    Obviously for someone running Windows 7 or 8 enterprise they likely have a KMS server so they can boot their USB key and be activated automatically by their KMS server.    If however your don't have KMS activation.. The W2Go instance will not be activated and will eventually start giving issues after 30 days from the first boot from the USB key (and of course if activated the activation will fail when moved to a new bow)... But you can simply replace the .vhd image with a fresh one.... Either way... It's perfectly allowed as long as the machine you are booting from a USB based OS drive is license for the windows version you deployed in the W2Go image.  (And it works with Windows 7, 8, 2008 R2, and 2012.... Even WHS 2011 works inside a W2Go image)

Edited by ArtieMcD

ArtieMcD

Here's the official doc on how to create a native boot from .vhd.. (Basically the fundamentals of how windows 2 go works with the added requirement that the .vhd is actually on a USB flash memory or disk)

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh825689.aspx

There's also multiple how to's on the web with people giving the steps for how to deploy windows in a vhd by running Setup (IE, use Shift-F10 to mount the vhd image) for different machine setups (ie, how to create the UEFI bootable USB disk, etc).

Edited by ArtieMcD

ikon

Thanks ArtieMcD; I'm sure this will be of benefit to a number of people.

TheJason

Thanks.  That's a good find!  I do still need to try a Server 2012 Essentials recovery stick to see if it will boot.  I'll report back whenever I get around to it.

ikon

I created a Windows To Go flash drive using a Patriot 32GB Supersonic Rage stick. I created it on my Surface Pro. However, it will not boot. I tested it on my Win7 desktop computer, strictly to see if it would boot, and it did try, although it couldn't finish, I suspect because it didn't have all the right drivers.

Also, some of the directions I found said to create 2 partitions on the flash drive, something that is impossible without breaking Microsoft's default policy of only allowing 1 partition on removable drives. I found some other instructions that said how to do it using only a single partition, but it still won't boot.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• GRichards
      By GRichards
      We installed a new modem from CenturyLink ( Model C1100Z) and when trying to reconnect to remote web site, I get an error saying that the UPnP is not enable or the modem does not support the UPnP, I have also enable the port forwarding for the specific ports and ensure that the UPnP was enabled. I contacted tech support from CenturyLink and told me that their end was good and nothing should be stopping it from working. I was wondering if there is a work around for this issue.
    • truthsforme
      By truthsforme
      Will the Intel i5 processor used in the surface be able to handle photo editing software like adobe PhotoShop and lightroom? Currently, I'm using an Acer with an AMD e-350 processor and 6gb ram to do photo editing. It takes a little patience because of the rather slow performance. Will the surface pro be considered a step up in terms of performance compared to my Acer? Rough estimate, how much of a performance increase should I expect (2x faster etc.)?

I would hope that they made the surface pro with photographers in mind, why else include a display port as oppose to an HDMI port, lol.

Thanks, regards
    • jez77
      By jez77
      I personally feel after using my Surface for over two weeks that this product is ahead of its time.

Just like Xbox was ahead of its time, when Nintendo and Sony dominated the gaming world and all gamers were like Microsoft can't just buy their way into the gaming industry with a powerful PC.

And they did...

They introduced Xbox Live and had an Ethernet port in the device way before anyone even considered online gaming with a console. High speed internet was just rolling out and then they charged you 50 dollars to play online. They had something there and bought into it and now look at where they are. Now the features that Microsoft created and supported, which people and reviewers then called crazy, expensive, niche have become industry standards for gaming.

Similar to how games were becoming more multiplayer focused such as Goldeneye, WCW/NWO, sports games, Mario kart, super smash brothers, when Microsoft brought the idea of playing online. That niche market of multiplayer, at the time, became the driving force of the gaming industry is today with COD, Halo etc.  
      Now the Surface...why would people want power or productivity in a tablet? Ask the millions of people who bought Apple office suite for Ipad, photoshop app, IPhoto, IMovie all for Ipad. The Surface is where the (at least) 10 in plus screen tablet industry is going. The current Ipad market is all going to the 7 plus inch screen format while the 10 in screen is going to be for productivity. I feel this is a great time to enter as now the focus shifting away from 10in screen form and going to 7in screen form, allowing for the 10in screen to be for productivity and the 7in to be for consumption and games. Similar to the niche market that wants productivity, a keyboard, a full OS, speed, flexibility in the tablet form factor. This is where 10 in plus screen market is going to... productivity, business, home personnel use etc.

A few other examples...

Dare I mention Zune and it subscription based model.. now we have Spotify, Rdio, etc. Time will show that a merge of a laptop and tablet is what everyone wants and needs. The Surface with get thinner, faster and maintain a longer battery life through the iterations to come.
      Microsoft is not perfect  but I trusted them with Xbox and their support for the software, and innovations lead me to believe that the Surface will follow suite as we are just scratching the surface (pun intended) of Microsoft vision of a unified ecosystem.

Now trust me Surface, Windows 8 and the Next Xbox are all going to integrate together, the tools and devices have been planted. I bet the Windows 8 store and Xbox store are going to be similar, if not based on the same architecture. 

RANT BEGIN ( First I am sick of all these doomsday articles of Windows 8 is in dying and Surface is cool but its not selling as much as Microsoft wants. First Windows 8 is an operating system it is not an expansion pack to WOW. The adoption rate will increase as people by PCs for school, home etc. Just because a new OS comes out people do not throw their PC is the garbage or run out to upgrade an old PC (especially when it is not touch screen). The 1st IPAD was a big IPOD touch with a handful of apps such as Netflix, 4 plus generation and minor upgrades later it is a platform.

On a side note I think Apple is in trouble as the magic that they had has gone with the late Steve Jobs, everything since has been pathetic tweaks (I think the punch everyone's been drink is getting a bit sour). I think Microsoft beat Apple to the punch of combining a touch and productive operating system. As Apple has been wasting incremental upgrades trying to make OSX into iOS with the gestures and such, Microsoft went all in with an operating system that can function in both environments, as when as ARM and mobile processors.

I am sorry for my Apple rant but I am fed up with the public notion that everything Apple does is revolutionary. Some of it is, such as the 1st iphone, app ecosystem and 1st and 2nd gen Ipads. Apple will follow suite with a "productivity IPAD" Look how long it took them to release a 128GB (with flash not SSD memory) for A NICE $799. Not expensive though, but a 899 or 999 for full PC in the form of a tablet.. too expensive. Total double standard and not the same type of device so stop comparing .. "the verge, engadget.. etc"

Today I downloaded a file from the internet, sent it to my home networked hard drive for backup, sent it wirelessly to my Canon/Brother (any) printer to print (oh not before hand writing a message on the photo), then dragged the file to my attached USB thumb drive to print at Target. I also plan to use the photo to write up Thank You and print them using a Avery printing template... all on my couch with a tablet.

Just think how you would (with Apps.. and cost) or if you could do this with an Ipad. This is why the Surface is in a different league.) END RANT

Well there is my rant, I will have more as I continue to read the internet, follow my tech news and use this wonderful tablet/PC from the future.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!!

Great show SurfaceGeeks, I think you guys do a wonderful job sharing your opinions, advice and knowledge to all us Surface fans out there. Keep up the great work. And I love your tales from the Microsoft Store.. that should be a segment. Ha!
    • Dewain27
      By Dewain27
      I wanted to give a quick review of the Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Docking Station in use with Surface Pro

The Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Docking station can be leveraged by any USB 3.0 device, however I have purchased this for use with my Surface Pro.  I really enjoy the portability of my Surface Pro, however it is nice to rip the keyboard off and sit it on my desk and go dual monitor with full keyboard and mouse to rock out those Visio, Word, or Power Point documents.  This device can be bought at Amazon at the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-UD-3000-Docking-2048x1152-Ethernet/dp/B008N06I2I?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ27KPV45VTL2XA5Q&tag=plugabltechno-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B008N06I2I

The docking station has the following ports:
      4 USB 2.0 Ports 2 USB 3.0 Ports 1 Headphone 1 Mic 1 DVI 1 10/100/100 Ethernet Port The device comes with converters for DVI to HDMI or SVGA.  It also comes with the USB 3.0 cable required to plug into your device (Surface Pro).  This is impressive as for the price this is a great deal.

I have mine plugged into a secondary monitor using the HDMI converter and am running a full 1080p screen along with my Surface Pro screen in the dual monitor extended mode.  I have seen no issues with video performance.  I wouldn't suggest that you try to play a game on this screen, but it performs well under typical scenarios.

The Ethernet port is working great and I am getting no issue with running at full 1000 Mbs.

Drivers for the device come down from windows update with no issue, however do take a few minutes to install.  Keep in mind the number of ports and devices this is installing so that is understandable.

The device is mostly shiny plasic finish, but looks nice sitting your desk.  The main issues you run into is that the USB and the power are on different sides of the Surface Pro and you still will need an extra power cable if you want to charge while docked.  This can be combersome if you don't do some simple cable management.  The other negative that I have is the size of the power plug of the device.  Unlike the Surface Pro, this device uses one of those huge power converters in the actual plug that can cause you to eat up several ports on a powerstip.  So, try to plan for the one on the end if you don't have one of the ones that accomodates this type of plug well.

Overall, I would give this a 9 out of 10.  It is a great device and works as expected.  There are some things like the power plug that irritate me, but hey it does its job and makes the Surface Pro an awesome desk machine.

Let me know if you guys have any questions about this device and I am happy to run any tests that you might want...

Dewain
    • Dewain27
      By Dewain27
      So, you went out and bought your Surface Pro or RT and you brought it home and thought this is awesome how small these are... Then you walk over to put it in your laptop bag and you are like "WOW this won't work!"  So, I jumped out looking for something that did not eat my Surface like a tiny dog biscuit to a great dane.

So, I found the solution that I was looking for...

Yes boys and girls it is a perfectly sized laptop bag for the Surface RT / Pro.  It is good to note that this thing not only perfectly fits the surface, but all of the other items you might want to bring.  Tons of pockets and zippers and such.

Oh and did I mention that I love the fact that this thing has an awesome orange interior that gives it a little character.  If you like it comes in black and orange as well.

The material is a smooth nylon-like material keeping it from having issues with getting a little wet and stain resistant.  I absolutely love this thing.  I would give some cons, but I can't find anything wrong with it.

Here is the link to allow you to go there now and buy this immediately.  I have had mine for months and I have to say there is nothing else out there that compares... (that I have seen)

http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Horizontal-Messenger-Microsoft-Surface/dp/B009RV2BD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363393738&sr=8-1&keywords=surface+bag

Happy shopping....

Oh... here is the link for it in black

http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Horizontal-Messenger-Microsoft-Surface/dp/B009RV2EOI/ref=pd_cp_pc_0