RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RMansfield

Is There Any Way To Change The Start Screen Wallpaper On The Surface Rt?

RMansfield

No problem. I've come to the conclusion that outside of some greater hacking than I'm willing to do, it's not possible at the present time. I can't imagine why MS would limit this ability.

I keep finding similar limitations, such as the inability to turn off automatic updates.

ikon

I suspect some of those other things are part of a policy direction that MS wants to pursue going forward; in particular, automatics updates. I can see their point: so much of the negative publicity about Windows revolves around security, and a huge part of that is due to people failing to apply security updates and patches.

I think this will be a trend for many companies in future. For example, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Apple already insist on automatic updates on some of their devices, like iPads, iPhones, etc.?

RMansfield

No, Apple doesn't force updates. We have two iPhones, three iPads and two MacBooks in our home. While the updates will nag you to death, there's no forced updates involved. In fact, I frequently have to remind my wife to update because if I didn't, she never would.

I understand the automatic updates in RT, though, since it is meant to be more consumer oriented. However, not being able to easily change the wallpaper of the Start Screen to a custom image is odd to me. 

ikon

Thanks for the clarification re: Apple updates. Obviously, I'm not up to date on Apple.

Being such a new device, I suspect you will see things like Metro Screen image changing in future updates. Think of it as a bit like iPhone 1.0.

I won't disagree with anyone who complains that it's years since iPhone 1.0 so why are we still waiting on things like screen image updating. I'm thinking of it as the Metro interface is brand new, much like the iPhone 1.0 was years ago. I do suspect updates will come pretty quickly in the next year or 2.

RMansfield

It's okay. I realize it's a "new" product and platform. I'm willing to be patient and assume the platform, including both capabilities and app store, will improve.

As I've said, I really like my Surface. I mean this is the first real Windows device I've bought and used since the nineties! 

When I first bought it, I didn't know whether or not I was going to keep it. I was mainly curious. But I liked it more than I thought I would, and I've actually found real use for it. Plus, once I put a skin on something, that means I'm keeping it long term :-)

ikon

:)

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I was surprised to see it had copy functions when it was released. Its hard to believe but Windows phone 7 did not have it at release.

ikon

iPhone didn't either IIRC.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

iPhone didn't either IIRC.

It's apple, does that surprise you? It doesn't surprise me. Heck, they have had the same UI for 5 or 6 years now.

ikon

Just sayin', iPhone didn't have it to start and now does; WP didn't have it to start and now does too.