RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Mochahead

Bounced My Surface Rt Without Incident

Mochahead

I was going through airport security, trying to comply with regulations, and I started to put my RT into a bin for scanning. I'm not sure how it happened, but it sort of sailed out of my hand and bounced off the floor. My Type Cover took the worst--the backspace key came dislodged, but on first glance it was one of those wincing moments.

I didn't examine it until after I got through security, and I was amazed. The tablet was fine--not even a scratch. The Type Cover was fine after I snapped the backspace key back in place. I have seen iPads destroyed by much less.

I would not recommend doing this, and I am going to rethink my return-trip strategy through security. I was very impressed by how it held up.

ikon

Yeah. My SP has taken a few knocks but you can't tell from the outside at all. I had issues with my video giving funky colours the past few days, but for some really odd reason it's cleared up yesterday and today. I'm still not sure if one of the knocks affected the video circuitry but it sure doesn't show on the outside :)

LawnPaul

Another happy story!
awesome to hear!

RMansfield

I was under the impression that a tablet computer does not have to be taken out of a bag like you're supposed to do with a laptop.

schoondoggy

I was under the impression that a tablet computer does not have to be taken out of a bag like you're supposed to do with a laptop.

That is true, but with the keyboard attached I have had the TSA question whether it is a laptop or a tablet.

Mochahead

Good point. Maybe when I go back I can detach the keyboard and leave it tablet-style in its carrying case. In the last two days, I have logged over 16 hours of use on the RT since I used it as a Frisbee, and it does not seem to have sustained any damage. I would like to avoid doing that again.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have had about ten flights with my rt and haven't had to take it out. It is just dependent on the screener.

I have had about ten flights with my rt and haven't had to take it out. It is just dependent on the screener.

berty6294

I've gone through the TSA scanners multiple times. Always took the surface out of my carry on bag but left it (and the touch cover) in the sleeve. Never got questioned for it though.

ikon

I wonder, do you think it has something to do with the fact that most, if not all, tablets are very thin and can't really be taken apart, so it would be very hard to secret explosives or other contraband inside them?

RMansfield

I think that's what it originally had to do with. At one time all laptops were an inch or thicker. Of course, now the lines are blurring between very thin notebook computers and tablets. 

Although I once got "selected" to be pulled out of a line and they wiped my laptop for gunpowder residue (none found!), I think for the most part, the TSA really isn't that concerned about tablets or even laptops that much anymore. I've never heard of anyone trying to blow up a plane with a bomb concealed in a laptop. 

Years ago, they said to always have a good charge on a laptop because you'd have to turn it on and prove it's in working condition (and thus not a bomb, I suppose). I've carried laptops on planes many times, and while I've always removed them from my bag, I've never been asked to turn one on--even when I was "selected" to be checked more thoroughly.