RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
berty6294

Moderncalc - Windows Store App - Need Feedback Please!

berty6294

Hi everybody! So I just began developing for Windows 8 and am trying to get a good feel for it. The first app I have attempted is this calculator, because quite frankly, I'm not a fan of many of the calculators available. They are either too bulky or too ugly. Or they just don't work at all!

ModernCalc was made to be fast and clean looking as it follows the whole "Modern" look and feel.

I just quit my job, so all my dedication is now being put into developing so please give ModernCalc a try (it's free!) and let me know what you think! I am completely open to ideas and criticism (and compliments if deserving).

ModernCalc app for Windows in the Windows Store

Please leave your suggestions here in this thread, you can pm me, or email me at moderncalc.berty@live.com.

Your input is beyond appreciated! What should I add? Change? Remove?

Thank you!

ikon

In this economy you quit your job?? Wow! Don't get me wrong, I hope it all works out great, but it is a bit risky, isn't it?

berty6294

In this economy you quit your job?? Wow! Don't get me wrong, I hope it all works out great, but it is a bit risky, isn't it?

I'm a college student, so part of it was school related. The job I quit was terrible because the people I worked with were all best friends and for some reason or another hated me. Since the owner is also a good friend of there's he started giving my hours to them and they all treated me poorly. Worked 2 miserable days a week, just couldn't do it anymore.

If the development gives me any sort of income I'd be happy, if not I'll need to find another job.

ikon

OK; just had a quick look at the calculator. My 1st impression is that you need some colour in it. Honestly, it looks a little dated rather than modern. Just my 2 cents.....

berty6294

OK; just had a quick look at the calculator. My 1st impression is that you need some colour in it. Honestly, it looks a little dated rather than modern. Just my 2 cents.....

Perfect, that's exactly the feedback I want! My mom told me to add a color scheme to it and even have the user choose a theme as well. Did the ad work on your device? It seems to be hit or miss. Also, anything I can add to make it more relevant?

ikon

I didn't install the app, but I did look at it in the Store. I did see an ad at the bottom center. I also noticed that the ad seemed be cutting off the bottom half of the bottom row of buttons.

berty6294

I didn't install the app, but I did look at it in the Store. I did see an ad at the bottom center. I also noticed that the ad seemed be cutting off the bottom half of the bottom row of buttons.

Yeh the screenshots were shot with the testing ads in the Visual Studio but the real ones seem very unstable (on microsofts part).

The center set of buttons are actually in a scroll box. Drag them up for even more buttons

ikon

I think you should consider getting rid of the scrollbar. I think it would get annoying. More than that, I think people will go, "WTH??", even if it is very reasonable. IOW, it might even make sense to have the scrollbar, but I think it doesn't give the right 1st impression.

berty6294

I think you should consider getting rid of the scrollbar. I think it would get annoying. More than that, I think people will go, "WTH??", even if it is very reasonable. IOW, it might even make sense to have the scrollbar, but I think it doesn't give the right 1st impression.

Now the scrollbar only appears if you are using a mouse, if on a touch screen it disappears. I think the first screenshot shows it, the others do not. But I think your right that I should not show the scrollbar in the first screenshot that people see

LawnPaul

Thank you so much. I have hated the desktop calculator with a passion. Having this snapped to the side works very nicely.

• Like 1