RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Update Question

RMansfield

Forgive me as I get to know my new Surface RT, as I'm sure this question has come up before...

Do I need to check the Windows Update from both the Modern UI and the Desktop or are those Windows Updates essentially in sync with each other. I do have everything set to update automatically, but I like to check to see what's updating.

If I remember right, when Surface RT was first released is was necessary to go to the Desktop Windows Update to bring it down. That was before it was automatic. I've also noticed non-automatic updates, such as virus defs, are only listed on the desktop update only if they aren't yet mandatory. But I decided stuff like that was only a problem when I looked to close. Eventually they installed. Plus, anytime I drill down it brings me to the desktop side.

So there are two types of updates.  App updates must be done from the marketplace and this handles the applications including the ones that Microsoft makes such as Mail, Calendar, and Contacts.

The other type is Windows Update.  This updates Office and Windows, however these can be updated in the modern UI or in the legacy Control Panel.  I have found that if you want to select updates selectively or get the optional updates you have to do so in the legacy Control Panel. 

I hope this helps..