RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

A Few Questions Regarding My Surface Pro

Hey man, I'm enjoying the podcast! I've been using my Surface Pro 128GB since February 13th as my main computer. I have a couple questions/comments on my use.

1. I am using my LG TV as a monitor, I have a full size keyboard/mouse that I use. The issue is... there is considerable latency between the mouse move when looking at the PRO screen and the TV. Does anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions? I normally do not run in a duel screen, so after a little bit of use, I hardly notice the latency. But it is still there.

2.I do not have the Metro version of IE10 on my Surface Pro. It does have the desktop version installed. I cannot seem to find it so I can install it either. Does anyone know how I can get the Metro version installed?

Thanks for the help, and keep the podcasts coming!

Turbo

OK, 2 things:

1. I do not have any lag between my Pro 128 to my Bravia 60". I'm using a 15 foot Mini Displayport to HDMI able.
  2. Have you checked if your TV has a 'gaming' mode? This is a feature of many higher end TVs specifically designed to improve response for fast-twitch games.
schoondoggy

Metro IE 10 is built in. I am wondering if IE just got unpinned from the start screen. Either from the start screen or search type in Internet Explorer to see if it is in your app list. If it is there, you can pin it to the start.

You're almost certainly correct schoondog. Unless he deliberately went into Programs and Features and uninstalled IE it has to be there. In fact, I'm not even sure Metro IE can be uninstalled that way at all.

Thanks for the feed back!

Ikon: Right now I am running a Belkin display port to HDMI adapter then a regular HDMI cable from there to the TV. Maybe its the adapter, since I used same HDMI cable with my previous computer with no issue. I will have to look into the Gaming mode option for my TV later.

Schoondog: I have searched for IE10 Metro like you sugested, I've looked through the All Programs view and I've even searched the C: drive for it manually looking through the different program folders. As far as I can tell, its just gone...

I agree with Ikon that it should be there, its not unpinned and I did not uninstall it manualy. Windows doesnt even let you uninstall regular internet explorer on previous versions of windows, since it is part of the operating system.

I'll probably have to break down and do a system restore from the back up partition and see if that brings it back. I was just looking for an alternate way to get it back.

Thanks for your help, any other suggestions are welcome.

Turbo

schoondoggy

So you have tried this;

screenshot6ah.png

If that is not working, check for add features to windows. If IE is truly missing you may be able to reinstall as a feature.

If that does not work you can try, refresh your system;

screenshot7n.png

Well, I ended up doing a fresh install. I now have the Metro version of IE. I was hoping that this fresh install would've solved my lantency issue as well, but no luck. I did switch my TV to GAME mode, but this did not help the issue either.

I haven't had an oportunity to swap out my mini display port to HDMI cable yet to trouble shoot the latency issue, but hopefully this weekend.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Turbo

You know, I don't think we ever established what kind of mouse you're using. Is it wired or wireless? If wireless, what kind: Bluetooth or some other kind?

It will be interesting to see how things go when you swap out your HDMI adapter for a plain cable. I'm beginning to think I got lucky by buying Mini-Display-Port-to-HDMI right from the start.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, if you make any browser other than IE your default browser, then the Metro IE ceases to appear at all, only desktop IE.  If you reset IE as your default, it will return -- a fresh install will also work :).