RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Access Windows Computer From Windows Phone 8

kylejwx

So I was sitting on the couch with my Nokia Lumia 822, and wondering how I could access content that was on my Windows 7 Desktop a few feet away.  I would like to browse through my regular network shares, and possibly stream media.  Anyone have app recommendations for these options?

At this point, I am just looking for a solution that works over the local network and I would rather not install any sort of server side software on the desktop.  You would think that a Windows Phone could access Windows shares, right?  Also, when I browse to Network in Windows explorer, my computer shows 2 media devices from Window Media Player and 1 from Zune.  Do those do anything for me on Windows Phone?  And lastly, I have iTunes installed. Doesn't that have some sort of local streaming option?

Thanks guys!

Where do you want to stream the media to?

There are several RDP and VNC apps for Windows phone that would allow you to take control of the desktop PC on your home network. Just as a test I logged into my LogMeIn account with my Lumia 900 and took control of my home workstation.

There is a Nokia app called Play To that allows you to stream content from your Phone to DLNA compliant media servers.

If you have a Xbox, the Xbox Smart Glass app is available as well.

• 3 weeks later...

When you say you have iTunes do you use your media library in MP3 or the Apple File format.  Please ignore my ignorance as I despise and don't use iTunes and don't have this issue as a result.

In an effort to show you how I was doing this.... I have a Windows Home Server and was leveraging this app.  BTW this even works across the internet if you so desired.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/my-server/6c2f98d5-6fcf-4e1d-b8b1-cde62ea1a94a

Hope that helps some, but still really need to understand what file types you are dealing with as I don't know if this helps you if you are trying to stream DRM content.

Dewain

• 5 weeks later...

first 2 links are broken - no content.