RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Evernote Update

mplovan

I think onenotes value will increase even more with it's use growing on tablet where you can hand write notes. But I understand it is hard to change. I resisted it for over a year because I didn't like that it was always running in the background.

I have looked at OneNote 3 or 4 times over the years; it has just never grabbed me. Maybe, on a Surface, it will.

I also used EverNote for over a year, but I was trying to use it as a password manager (something it was touted to be good at actually) and serial #/license key retention. After I tried LastPass, my EverNote use ceased.

I have no earthly idea what I did before finding LastPass.  I pay for the mobile access as well.  I love having that with me at all times.

Ok, back to EverNote vs. OneNote.

I use RoboForm for password management. I agree, no earthly idea how I survived without it. Actually I used Excel and then moved to onenote. RoboForm automates the login process so it is much better.

I got into using OneNote for work-related stuff, primarily taking notes in meetings. I think doing it that way really gets you into the onenote ecosystem if you will, really quick and I then expanded it to my personal life for things like chores I need to do around the house, things I need to buy for the house, coaching my kids in sports so I have a lot of stuff i put in there as. but overall, whether business or personal it is very valuable to me.

I have no earthly idea what I did before finding LastPass.  I pay for the mobile access as well.  I love having that with me at all times.

Ok, back to EverNote vs. OneNote.

I've tried lastpass on my surface. I liked it, but what I need is offline password generation and storage. How can I her last pass to display the plain text password.

I am trying to use it to store and generate work passwords to be entered on a separate machine

Why don't you just install LastPass on the work machine? Any passwords you generate on 1 computer will be accessible by any other computer that has LastPass installed. Actually, it doesn't even have to be installed; you could do it via just the browser, but I recommend installing the plug-in.

Why don't you just install LastPass on the work machine? Any passwords you generate on 1 computer will be accessible by any other computer that has LastPass installed. Actually, it doesn't even have to be installed; you could do it via just the browser, but I recommend installing the plug-in.

The work machine is not mine, and due to the industry, completely locked down security wise

The work machine is not mine, and due to the industry, completely locked down security wise

In that case I would not be using any password manager/generator that isn't approved by your work IT dept. I've worked in TS areas; going outside the approved list of software is not looked upon favourably.

• 4 weeks later...

On the Surface and Windows Phone, OneNote is a great application, no doubt about it. I don't know how well it would scale to the gigs of notes and files I have accumulated in Evernote over the last several years.

It may or may not be worth mentioning when I started using Evernote, Outlook wasn't an option as a cross platform service and as a service, Evernote is fantastic. They continue to create devices for virtually every platform that comes along--their broad support is without equal. Unfortunately their RT app currently is crap. It shows potential but just doesn't work. (Perhaps due to the size of my account, but given how they have positioned and marketed themselves, I am in the right to demand they function at this scale).

Over the last two years, I've found myself quite invested in the Windows Phone ecosystem and more recently RT which is my choice of tablet OS moving forward... if I were to choose just one today, it would be OneNote. I'm too heavily invested in Evernote though... on the upside, if MS ever gives up on WP or RT (Or something better comes along), there'll be an Evernote app for wherever I land.

Edited by theprawn

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Dave
      By Dave
      RESET Forums now has an Android app on the Google Play Store.  I don't see it via search since it just hit but I have a hard link to it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.homeservershowcomforums&rdid=com.tapatalk.homeservershowcomforums

You can install it from there.  If you are a TapaTalk user it will look familiar with one caveat. You login with your RESET Forums credentials, not your tapatalk creds.  Once logged in you will notice more options for your interaction, notification, etc.

I hope you enjoy this app. iOS is coming soon.

• EON1488993291
      By EON1488993291
      Hello!

I have a Surface RT (32 GB) and it only has 1.69 GB of space left on the HD. The thing is that I have almost nothing on it (just a few apps that I check and do NOT take a lot of space, and small files), so I don't know what is taking so much space. Does anyone knows where is all that memory going? I have not being able to find it (I have checked the size of the apps, delete the trash can, delete the internet history/cookies)...

Also, I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1. These are the two ways that I have think of doing it, but I will like your opinion on which option is better (or if there is a better way):

Plan 1: take the tablet to its original status (in PC settings > General > Remove everything and reinstall Windows), move the recovery files to a thumb drive (http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/192-surface-rt-how-to-free-up-4-gigabytes-of-storage-space-on-your-rt/), and do all updates to take it to Windows 8.1

Plan 2: free some space by moving the recovery files to a thumb drive, make the upgrade to Windows 8.1, run a cleanup disk and defragment the drive

Making a backup of the files in the tablet is easy b/c there is not much in it, but my main concerns for the process are: I am going to loose microsoft office? is it going to ask me for any key/license number (if I ever had one, I don't know where it is)? anything else that I am missing?

Thanks!

EON
    • Dave
      By Dave
      On Surface Geeks Podcast 34 I put out a challenge for you guys to sound off on what Twitter app you use and I listed a few requirements for the perfect Twitter app. In my opinion of course.  It's such a subjective question and answer on what is perfect.  My perfect app may not be physically possible.  It's a wish list though.

LIst the apps that you use, tried to use, etc, then give me some features you would like to see in your "perfect" Twitter app for WP8.

MehDoh
      meTweets
      twabbit
      Twitter’s App
      People Hub
      Rowi

My Wish List
      Timeline Options         
                 Double Tap to top
                 Where to start timeline when you open app. Latest tweet, where last left off.
      Mentions
      Composing
                 I need the @ and # sign on screen somehow. No hitting shift!
                 Start autofill after hitting the @ button
      Retweet
                 Always give option to quote.
      What happens when you tap the tweet?
      Easily view the "conversation."
      Easy way to view a link.
      In Line Photos, especially Instagram and SkyDrive.
      Ability to zoom photo
      Alerts
      Lock Screen Info
      Handle Multiple Accounts easily
      Bonus Points
                 Sync with a desktop/RT client!
                 Send link to tweet via share options
                 Send a link that is in the tweet to share options, Pocket, etc.

• Dave
      By Dave
      I stated on episode 3 of the podcast, http://surfacegeeks.net/the-surface-geeks-podcast-episode-3.html , that I think I made a mistake getting the 32 Gb version. I have not loaded a whole lot, YET. I plan on installing a lot more this week and weekend. So far it has just been testing for me.
      I'm not entirely sure of the return policy but I'm thinking of returning this one and getting a 64. What do you think?
    • Dewain27
      By Dewain27
      So, you went out and bought your Surface Pro or RT and you brought it home and thought this is awesome how small these are... Then you walk over to put it in your laptop bag and you are like "WOW this won't work!"  So, I jumped out looking for something that did not eat my Surface like a tiny dog biscuit to a great dane.

So, I found the solution that I was looking for...

Yes boys and girls it is a perfectly sized laptop bag for the Surface RT / Pro.  It is good to note that this thing not only perfectly fits the surface, but all of the other items you might want to bring.  Tons of pockets and zippers and such.

Oh and did I mention that I love the fact that this thing has an awesome orange interior that gives it a little character.  If you like it comes in black and orange as well.

The material is a smooth nylon-like material keeping it from having issues with getting a little wet and stain resistant.  I absolutely love this thing.  I would give some cons, but I can't find anything wrong with it.

Here is the link to allow you to go there now and buy this immediately.  I have had mine for months and I have to say there is nothing else out there that compares... (that I have seen)

http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Horizontal-Messenger-Microsoft-Surface/dp/B009RV2BD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363393738&sr=8-1&keywords=surface+bag

Happy shopping....

Oh... here is the link for it in black

http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Horizontal-Messenger-Microsoft-Surface/dp/B009RV2EOI/ref=pd_cp_pc_0