RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 8 Pro And Games

mstrecke

My main interest in the windows 8 pro surface is the possibility of running PC based games. I know it will never replace my gaming desk top but I am hoping I can play some lower requirements strategy games on it.

A "Gaming" surface seems to be in the works, but it sounds like it will not be backwards compatible with previous versions of windows.

Anyone else interested in using a tablet for gaming?

Margaret

Margaret, I think that until the Surface Pro comes out, how it handles games will be anyone's guess. Basically, you're getting a computer with an i5 processor, 4GB RAM, and an integrated Intel video card. Based on those specs alone, I wouldn't imagine the device will handle graphics-intensive games on their highest settings, but they should run. My guess is that playing lower-end strategy games would work well. I have had some pretty killer gaming rigs get eaten up in end-game battles playing things like Supreme Commander 2 when there are hundreds of units on-screen all at once.

Margaret, I think that until the Surface Pro comes out, how it handles games will be anyone's guess. Basically, you're getting a computer with an i5 processor, 4GB RAM, and an integrated Intel video card. Based on those specs alone, I wouldn't imagine the device will handle graphics-intensive games on their highest settings, but they should run. My guess is that playing lower-end strategy games would work well. I have had some pretty killer gaming rigs get eaten up in end-game battles playing things like Supreme Commander 2 when there are hundreds of units on-screen all at once.

That is what I was thinking.  I will probably start with something like Civ IV and see how that does. 

Looking forward to Saturday!

Margaret

Margaret, I am going to be trying my hand at some games as well - I would certainly be interested in your experience(s). If you have time (and the inclination) to post back once you've had a chance to mess around with it, I would enjoy learning more about the mileage you get.

A friendly gaming recommendation - I picked up Skulls of the Shogun last week when it was released for my Surface RT. First off, it runs great on that platform so I am sure the experience on the Pro will, at a minimum equal it. Second, it's a very fun little strategy game. I love strategy games and while this is never going to rival something like the StarCraft series or Supreme Commander (and their ilk), I am really looking forward to a second run through of the campaign. There's a lot of neat (subtle) strategy involved and there are optional quests within the main game. Each map has three separate accomplishments that you can try to complete on your play-through (things like making it through a level without losing any of your army, capturing a certain number of control points, etc.). Those change with each map and should add a decent element of replay-ability. There's also multi-player which I haven't tried yet, but it's turn based so you don't have to be online at the same time as the person you're playing against. Pretty cool. Definitely worth checking out since you indicated an interest in strategy games.

Edited by scoobyx

scoobyx,

I will most certainly share my experience with the games I try.  I an still deciding what one I want to try first... Maybe Total War or Civ V since they have new DLC I have yet to try..

I saw Skulls of the Shogun on a gameing portal and was considering it.  I will definatly pick it up!   It is nice to have a more casual option to play when your work has had its way with my brain.  

3 days left!

Margaret