RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Surface Pro External Monitors

schoondoggy

schoondoggy

I am sure the DisplayPort connection on the Pro will drive a monitor well, but has anyone played with one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834992907

I was wondering if you ran two monitors off this, would it allow you to duplicate the 'metro' screen to the first monitor and the second monitor would be the extended desktop? I have a lot of drive time with Win 8, just not with multiple monitors.

At work we generally have docking stations, I was wondering if the USB3 connection would hold up better than the DisplayPort, with daily connect/disconnect? 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for all the advice I've read on this forum.

I wanted to report that I finally got a real setup working with external monitors that I've replaced my laptop with. It sure took a lot of research to make sure everything would be compatible before making the purchases. Now that everything is setup I really do have a great desktop replacement working with two external monitors.

Dell U2711 – 2560 x 1440 = 3,686,400 Pixels

Samsung – 1920 x 1200 = 2,304,000 Pixels

Surface – 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 Pixels

Total
of 8,064,000 Pixels

I purchased the following items for connectivity:

Plugable USB 3.0 Docking Station for connectivity to the Samsung monitor through DVI

Cheap Monoprice Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable for connectivity for the DELL

I mainly do Outlook and other Office applications as well as Skype, AutoCAD, Dynamics CRM, SharePoint and other productivity apps and this setup works just fine for me. When I get around to it I'll try running some MKV files to see if I can't trip up the Surface Pro 128. I rarely hear the fan kick up on the unit because I am not doing really heavy processing.