RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
HiramSS

Issues With Displaying Through A Projector

HiramSS

Schoondog:

Here's the latest:

Our projector at Church is a BenQ Model MP776/777  According to the Quick Start Guide, the resolution is 1024x768XGA.

------------------

For your consideration and for whatever it's worth:   I tried the Surface connected to the monitor on my desk at home.  The 22" monitor is an I-Inc IS220DPB.  The User Guide says its resolution is "max 1680x1050@60Hz".  Granted, there is no projector in the equation, but it seemed to work well.  I tried the Bible Study PPT.  With Duplicate 2nd Screen, the PPt presentation slide was shown on both the Surface and the projector screen.  With Extend, the Surface showed Presenter View and the screen showed the slide.

Just one other comment. Although at home (connected to monitor) I was able to show the PPt without issues, every time I tried to open an app from the Surface Start Screen, I got the following message:  "THE APP CANNOT OPEN.  The screen resolution is too low for the app to run."  Followed by an option to "Change Resolution."

Hope this helps you help me.

Thanks.

ImTheTypeOfGuy
What was the device you were connected to and what was its native resolution?

I will have to look on Monday. I tried every resolution possible. On any lcd's I have tried it has worked perfectly.

ikon
Ikon: I'll keep your alternatives as an option.  There is a Microsoft Store about 30mins from home.

Sheesh; you're in Puerto Rico and have an MS store 30 minutes away; I'm in Canada and the nearest one is 5 hours away :angry:

Edited by Ikon

schoondoggy

I think this issue is due to the projector resolution(1024x768) being outside of the supported range of the Surface Rt VGA adapter(1366x768-1920x1080). The issue with your monitor(1680x1050) I have heard of before. It makes me wonder if 1366x768-1920x1080 is a min-max or either 1366x768 or 1920x1080. I have another adapter coming in this week to test.

• Like 1

HiramSS

Schoondog:

I look forward to your test on the other adapter.

I'm not a savvy tech like you, but do you think it would make any difference if I changed the resolution on my Surface RT from the "recommended" 1366x768 to the minimum 1024x768? (the same on projector)

Do you think that maybe Radio Shack has an appropriate VGA Adapter, and that it's worthwhile to try it?

Thanks.

ikon

If you haven't tried it, absolutely try 1024x768. What have you got to lose?

schoondoggy

The minimum resolution the Surface will drive is 1366x768, I don't think it gives you any options below that.

I am going to try one of these as soon as my friend drops it off. The VGA adapter from Microsoft is fairly limited and is somewhat of a passive solution. This unit should make the Surface RT think it is talking to a 1080 device, then convert the signal to the native resolution of the device connected to it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0A7-000U-00015

I will let you know if it works.

• Like 1

HiramSS

Awesome! How I look forward to it.

Thanks.

ikon

That device looks promising. It says it supports 1024x768 at least. The price is pretty nice too.