RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Maximum Drives in WHS

jazzerjay

Last night I was reading the December 2010 issue of Maximum PC. There is a pretty good section on Windows 8 and a bit on WHS V2 (Code Name "Vail" - I suppose that would be for the folks that don't come here) On page 36, middle column named Hardware Requirements, there is a statement about WHS Version 1 supports a maximum of 5 hard drives and Vail will support 10. Perhaps I'm not reading this correctly. I have an HP EX485 that is populated with 4 drives and I have a Seagate and an ioSafe external attached. With those turned on that makes 6 hard drives. Is this maximum of 5 for internal or am I missing the boat?

TIA! You guys rock!

Jay

Yep, that's wrong WHS v1 is more like 32 physical drives. The largest capacity drives are 2TB. Looks like there is a 2.19TB limit to these standard drive. WHS V1 is based on Server 2003 and will not support the new 2.5TB and 3TB drives. Listen to podcast # 109.

Looks like Vail/Aurora might support the 2.5TB and 3TB but then the BIOS and hardware have to support the new format.

The only other thing is a limit of 10 PC's connected on WHS v1 and Vail and 25 users on Aurora.

Thanks a ton Diehard, I knew I would get a quick answer. I did just finish up 109 which of course was great as usual. I will post comments on that later. Anyway, thanks for the input. I thought I read that incorrectly as I seemed to remember a post or a pod cast where someone had mentioned 12 TB or so...which would be impossible with only four 2 TB drives. Again, thanks for the quick response as it nearly kept me up last night thinking about it.

I think part of the confusion is that the "beta" version of Vail stated a tested limit of ten drives but that was only during beta. I have 12 drives on V1 right now for a total of 16T and it runs great.

I think part of the confusion is that the "beta" version of Vail stated a tested limit of ten drives but that was only during beta. I have 12 drives on V1 right now for a total of 16T and it runs great.

I'm not going to lie pcdoc. I saw another post of yours last night and was steaming with jealously reading your system specs, THEN I came upon the rest of your gear. Suddenly, without warning, my CFO wanted to know what I was looking at. I faked a broken chair, stubbed toe and instituted an emergency shutdown of all powered systems. Unfortunately, she saw the whole screen and remembers everything. Great stuff and great post, thanks again you guys!

I'm not going to lie pcdoc. I saw another post of yours last night and was steaming with jealously reading your system specs, THEN I came upon the rest of your gear. Suddenly, without warning, my CFO wanted to know what I was looking at. I faked a broken chair, stubbed toe and instituted an emergency shutdown of all powered systems. Unfortunately, she saw the whole screen and remembers everything. Great stuff and great post, thanks again you guys!

That is a funny story. You have to sell it on benefit and all the thing it will do for her... I could help you write up a justification with tons of features and payback... All kidding aside, thanks for the comments and feedback.