RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What I Want From My Surface...

russbean

I'm an educator, and I want the ability to use my MS Surface RT for classroom lessons and presentations.  I see two ways in which this could be done:

Option 1: Use a projector to display what I have on my Surface screen.  The only problem I have with this is I want to retain the mobility of my tablet.  I don't want to be tethered with some kind of video cable.  So there needs to be a wireless option.

Option 2: Control my desktop with my tablet, which is connected to the projector and has any number of educational software options.  This would be like remote desktop but without disabling the screen.

Can the surface be used as a presentation device?  Are we there yet?  Geeks please chime in.

I am not sure about option 1 - I know the Surface doesn't do WiDi, or that would be a great route to go. For option 2, I am pretty sure you can use a product called Team Viewer. There are a couple of other members in the forums who use it and can directly address this point, but I am almost positive this will do what you want.

If your work computer has it enable you can ESP to it if your surface is on the same network. Team viewer isn't required. This would address the first item. I do it all the time and it works great.

My bad, forgot that RDP locks down the client, as you have pointed out.

I have used Remote Assistant to help troubleshoot and share control of a PC.

I have not tried to RA from the Surface RT.

If it works I assume touch functionality would be minimal;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-difference-between-Remote-Desktop-Connection-and-Windows-Remote-Assistance

If your work computer has it enable you can ESP to it if your surface is on the same network. Team viewer isn't required. This would address the first item. I do it all the time and it works great.

ESP should have been RDP. Stupid iphone!

Thank you, scoobyx.  I'll take a look at Team Viewer and see if it will serve my purpose.

To those suggesting RDP, I use Remote Desktop to access software on my desktop from my Surface.  It works great, but it locks the client.  Nothing can be viewed by the class as I do it on the tablet.

Shoondog, I have experimented with Remote Assistant.  You can use the Surface as a RA device.  The interface, however, is extremely laggy.

There is a simple registry change to prevent it from locking it. I do this on my HTPC all the time.

Very cool ITTOG. Do you, by any chance, have a link or hints of where to look.