RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Discovering Flaws. Frustrated!

HiramSS

Just when I was finally getting to be won over by the Surface, thus using it more, almost forgetting my W8 laptop and my iPad, I discovered apparent flaws that are making me really uncomfortable :angry: :

1) After posting threads on this and other reputable Forums, I am now convinced that there is almost no way to select one specific page or specific range of pages to print, while working with W8 apps.  On one Forum post I was told that only when using Reader was there such an option.  And I confirmed that yes, when opening a document in PDF Reader you get the All Pages/Current Page/Custom options.

So, resigned, I said "now I may have to save a document or web page as PDF, so then I can print a specific page or range of pages". Quite a burdensome work-around.  But, the question is: Is there an option in RT to do this? (save docs, web pages as PDF for future printing.)  Is there an app to convert docs, web pages to PDF, so that they can be printed later?

2) There are times when I need to save an email for future reference.  Is there a way that I can save emails (from Mail or Outlook.com) to the RT hard drive (i.e. Documents) as you can on the Desktop? And, how about converting them, so that then I can print certain pages from the email?

Hopefully I made myself clear and one of you experts can help.  Thanks.

Happy New Year

I have some 'wants' in this area as well. I have noticed that many apps that I would like/expect to print from do not have the ability to print. The Bing apps specifically; Sports, Travel, Finance, Daily.

What documents are you having issues with? Any document I open is generally in Office or Reader and then I have the capabilities you are looking for. As for websites I agree, there is no way to print a individual page, but most of the time I find that website has broken the article into pages, so I can print them one at a time. Can you post a link to a website article that you are having the issue with?  

The email client is really meant to be a reader and does not have functions to file email locally. If you need to keep copies local, there is a quick way to save them in OneNote. With a email open, swipe from the right and select devices, select send to OneNote, select print. Now if you go to OneNote, there will be a dialog box open asking you where you want to file it. Now that the email is in OneNote you can move it around and print it as you like. You could do this with websites as well.

I should have added;

You will need to create a OneNote workbook to store and organize your email. One draw back is that once it is in OneNote it is not an email anymore. So you cant forward it or reply, but you could copy it into a new email message if you needed to.

I will have to check, but if you are using the Mail app it does keep an offline cached copy in your inbox, so if you just don't delete it it stays.  What I like to do is make folders that say for follow up today, and follow up this week.  I move items into there and then make sure they are empty by the end of the day or the week depending on the folder.  

You can just make a folder in mail where you moved these messages you want to save and then you will be there. 

(maybe i am missing something)

Good idea!

On my three email accounts it looks like one will only allow 2 weeks of email, the other two can be adjusted for longer times.

It would depend on his mail provider. 

As far as I know you can not add them in the Mail app. You would need to add them at the website of the mail provider or in the program you are using, Gmail, Outlook, Outlook.com, Comcast,,,,,,,,,,

The email app is a bit disappointing overall.  We need a couple more revs.

It is a lot more disappointing than a bit. I think this issue alone is a reason to not buy an RT. Very frustrating that they crippled the device by not shipping it with Outlook.