RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

share VPN connection

seanf

Hi all,

I am located outside the USA and have just set up an account on a VPN provider which gives me a US IP address, this works great on my windows 7 MC Home theatre PC, but for the rest of the windows 7 pc's in my house we can't share the VPN. I was hoping someone might know of a way to share the VPN tunnel on WHS (version 1) so that all the clients I have at home can share the one VPN connection.

I hope it makes sense what I am trying to achieve, just a side note I have been listening to the homeserver show for quite a while (back when Dave was on his own) and really enjoy the topics discussed, I am on my second home server (HP ex490) after my first home build (an old dell pc) got fried in an electrical storm.

Thanks

Sean

What exactly are you looking to use the shared VPN for? What information to you want acccessible to all of your PCs in the network?

Chris

You'll have to make significant changes to your home network for this to work. Basically, you'll need a router that can act as the VPN client. This would either be a machine running Routing and Remote Access or a business-grade router with VPN client capabilied. This is not for the faint of heart, so expect to stumble a bit while trying to set this up.