RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pquirk

Associating A Power Profile With A Tile

pquirk

Apps like Skype do not allow the Surface RT to go to sleep while the app is busy. However, if you stream SiriusXM music in IE, the tablet will go to sleep after a minute or so, cutting off the audio. Is there a way to flag a browser-based tile as "do not put to sleep"? I have had to create a special power profile just for listening to SiriusXM and I have to remember to revert to the standard profile when I stop listening.

scoobyx

pquirk, I have experienced the same issue as you and unfortunately, don't have any solution to provide. I am accessing the SiriusXM web player through the desktop version of IE (for what it's worth, I can't get the player to load in the Metro version of IE). It will play for a while and then turn off, only to resume, immediately, when I do anything to wake the Surface tablet. If I run across any solutions, I will post back here.

schoondoggy

Todays updates made reference to 'fixing the way audio is handled during connected standby'. Can you see if this works properly after todays updates and firmware?

scoobyx

I will give it a shot today (Wed) and report back.

scoobyx

Well, I wish I could report better news, but I am having the same issue streaming SiriusXM through the desktop version of IE. The second the screen goes off (shutting lid, going blank because of power settings, or lid closure), the music stream stops cold. The second the screen comes back on, it picks right back up. Unfortunately, I cannot get the SiriusXM player to launch in Metro IE, so I have no way to test whether or not this would rectify the issue at hand. On a side note, I have had XBOX music streaming for ~30 minutes with the Surface lid closed and have had no hiccups. In the past, this was always a crap-shoot for me, so there appears to be good improvement in that department.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

Its not great but this seems to work;

I went into control panel, hardware and sound, power options, change plan settings, change advanced power settings, power buttons and lid, lid closed action, change on battery and plugged in to Do nothing. Apply and exit.

Open the browser in desktop, launched Pandora. To blank the screen, flip the keyboard up.

Screen is off music keeps playing.

Let us know if this works for SiriusXM.

schoondoggy

Additionally;

control panel, hardware and sound, power options, change plan settings-put computer to sleep never for battery or plugged in

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      At idle I'm seeing a power requirement of about 29.7W with my current configuration:
      HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 BETA 
      32GB RAM (2 x KVR24E17D8/16) Windows 10 Pro x64 with HyperV enabled OS Drive: SATA Port 5 – Samsung 840 Pro 256GB located in ODD bay Data Drive: SATA Port 6 – WL500GLSA8100 500GB 10K RPM 2.5” HDD mounted on revised SDM 3.5 that I mounted on side of PSU Data Drive: SATA Ports 1&2 in SW RAID0 2 x WD3000HLHX in drive bays 1&2 Data Drive: SATA Ports 3&4 in SW RAID1 2 x 2.5” WD10JVCX Red Drives in Icy Dock’s EZConvert’s in drive bays 3&4 Main Monitor attached with HDMI cable via : Passive “4K DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI Adapter by Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI UHD 2K 3D Audio and Video Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord” https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VV26BLB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 2nd Monitor attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5DX296/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 3rd Monitor attached to VGA Port Misc. Cables: 2 SATAIII, Dell MX714 Floppy FDD to SATA Power Converter Cable, SATA Power to two SATA Power Y splitter cable SDM 3.5 (revised) MicroSoft wireless Keyboard & Mouse

• ColinBrough
      By ColinBrough
      I've a N36L Proliant Microserver that has been happily sitting on a shelf doing NAS type stuff since 2011. I was away last week, and came back to it dead. It now won't switch on at all. No lights, no flickers of LEDs when power on switch pressed, nothing - so no real diagnostics! Checked fuse, checked mains power, all OK.

I'm presuming its a blown PSU - is that a good guess?

And, given the age of the machine, I'm suspecting it is likely to be best to simply replace it with a Gen8 replacement rather than faffing around trying to replace a PSU (which may or may not be the cause of the failure). Or is it worth trying to salvage?

(I'm hoping the disks in the machine survived the failure - there's a 6TB WD Green, a 2TB WD Green, a 250GB Seagate and a 750GB Samsung in there at the moment. Running XUbunutu.)
    • JohnTW
      By JohnTW
      Does anyone find there WP8 device is powered down (off) when they left in on for several hours (overnight)? My 4-day old Samsung Ativ S turn itself off overnight, while it was left off the charger.

* I have read that multiple Windows Phone 8 devices from various manufactures and carries can experience this issue.
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      The MicroServer Owners Club on the OverClockers Australia Forum member Doodz has a comprehensive write-up on the power useage of the MicroServer.

In my own configuration of the MicroServer with:
      8 GB RAM
      Crucial M4 128GB SSD
      WD20FAEX 2TB Black Drive
      WD20EADS 2TB Green Drive
      WD30EZRX 3TB Green Drive
      ST3000DM001 Barracuda 3TB Drive
      Intel EXP19402PTBLK 2-port NIC

I found that the MicroServer had a start-up peak of about 101VA (Volt-Amps) ran idled at about 61VA.

In the above configuration I still had one slot open in my 4-bay for another 3.5” spindle drive so in the interest of science I re-installed the original Seagate 250GB drive:
      ST325318AS Barracuda 250GB Drive

In this “filled” configuration I found that the MicroServer had a start-up peak of about 111VA and ran idled at about 66VA.