RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Take - The Surface Is Brilliant

ddoyle777

From one Newbie to another. Thanks so much. ;)

I'm a loyal PC guy, power-Office user, who owns a Windows Phone. I've had an iPad2 for some time, and decided to try the Surface after having seen commercials and reading a lot of reviews (pros and cons) ... plus my wife saying that it would be her Christmas gift to me. I thought it would be a great complement to the Pad, and that it would serve as a laptop, so that I could travel and move around with it. I sort of loved it from the beginning (didn't think I could get used to Touch pad, got the Type) I was not so completely convinced, but learned to use it and love it now. It was easier once I realized that it didn't work exactly like Windows 8 Pro at home

Still wish a number of iPad apps were available on the RT. I am a church Pastor, with an extensive Logos library. I too am sad that the app is almost useless. I've pinned a shortcut to Biblia.com, from where I can access all my Logos library in a more effective manner. A couple

of other issues still bug me a bit.

I have until January 30th to return it to the Microsoft Store, but after a few weeks of trial ... and reading your review ... I think it is a keeper.

Thanks again,

God bless and Merry Christmas!

You're welcome.

I was getting rather irritated by some of the half-baked reviews that I wanted to say something for users like us trying to figure out if the Surface might be worthwhile.

Good suggestion about biblia.com - I'll give it a try. I'd also add that Logos seems to be a very aggressive company. I wouldn't be surprised to have a pretty good app in six months or so.

Blessings back!

Dave

• Like 1

By the way ddoyle777... can you suggest a stylus writing app for the RT? I use Notibility and Penultimate on the iPad.

Thanks.

I'm using a combination of Word and OneNote when I want to take notes by hand. It works, but I have to concentrate on making my bad handwriting legible (which I do on iPad as well). I'm glad to see that PhatPad is coming - they have a preview app available in the store. I've used their app before on other platforms and it worked well.

What helped the most was switching from a rubber tip stylus to an Adonit pro stylus. It is really better, and I think worth the money.

BTW: I've been playing with Biblia.com - it does work a bit better than the Logos app, so I'll be using it for now. Still wish something would let me highlight!

DD

Never used Word or OneNote for hand writing. I have an Adonit Jot Pro (and decent penmanship), so I'll try.

Will look into PhatPad. Never heard of it.

Praying for good Bible apps.

Blessings.

Those are some good catches. I especialliy liked Ulanoff's comment: "Surface is so different from any tablet I’ve used before that it took me a few fays to fully warm to it, but now I like it -- quite a bit." Yep, that's my point, too.

• Like 1

I wrote something that should be posted to the blog here soon that you guys will like. The fact people just compare the surface to an ipad is journalistic laziness.