RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
CommonTek

Thinkpad 2 Finally 4 Sale

CommonTek

I am a proud owner of the TPT2. I received it Friday night at about 8 PM.  I had a terribly busy weekend so I haven't been able to fully immerse myself in the experience but first impressions are awesome. I hate that there are stickers all over the back but I purchased the slim red case for it so they are not visible anyway.  I plan on loading a full early impressions and review either later this week or this coming weekend.  If you have questions that you really want to know about, ask and I will address those ahead of my review.

I am super psyched to own this device.  Initially I am head over heels, just like I was when I purchased the first IPad but before I wrote the review I want to let the initial honeymoon wear off so I can provide a fair perspective.

Just a thought, you might want to hold off ordering yours. Rumors are that the version with NFC and optional Finger Print Reader is coming late January.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Is it really only offered in 32 bit versions? Major fail if true.

schoondoggy

All Clover Trail based tablets are 32 bit Windows due to a power savings mode that is currently only available in Win 8 32bit.

Also, these tablets are limited to 2GB of memory, so 64 bit does not do anything to enable more memory.

I know some folks have mentioned wanting to run certain tools, apps or development software that are 64 bit.

Frankly, if you need those capabilities you should look at a pro version of a tablet.

Clover Trail tablets are a nice fit between RT and Pro tablets. 

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I didn't realize it was a clover trail. Obviously I didn't look at the spec's closely enough.

quixotic

Congrats on receiving the tablet. It's great to see that they delivered as promised - actually ahead of time. Just got back from my trip so now will get serious about finding the right device and may stop by a Best Buy this weekend.

CommonTek

Yes, I would recommend hitting up best buy, granted you will have to look past their all too common display disasters.  I will try to post a review this weekend. 

CommonTek

So, I am sending my TPT2 in for service.  For the past few weeks, I have been getting random but regular freezes leading to blue screens that display an error message with 'driver_power_state_failure'  All windows and mfg updates are installed.  I have wiped and reinstalled twice with no difference.  The freezes are random in that there is no consistent trigger, sometimes it is when waking the device, other times it is in IE, others in different Apps. It is regular in that it happens anywhere from 2 - 5 times a week. When I go to Lenovos support site, and go to thief driver updates section, the TPT2 is not even listed.  I called Lenovo and this must not have been a surprise because the tech didn't even run me through the paces, he just said they would send a prepaid UPS box and label to send it to their ATL location for testing and repair. 

I am super frustrated, I love everything about the device but this has become unbearable.  If it remains an issue after service then I will return it.

quixotic

You're an early adopter and taking part in shaking out a new piece of equipment! I can understand your frustration thouhgh. I'm still curious about performance and how smooth touch actions are, scrolling, etc. Let us know when you can.

CommonTek

So today I received a replacement device from Lenovo.  It was entirely new device. 

Here's the awesome part... I got another pen AND MOST OF ALL they upgraded me to W8 Pro and WWAN and shipped it with an ATT ism installed waiting for account activation if I so choose.

Positive is that so far all seems to be good *knock on wood*

I have to say, I am not sure why they shipped me a better device but I am ecstatic and it helped take the bad taste out of my mouth.

Assuming I don't have and issues this weekend with the device, I will post a long overdue review.

ikon

I think you answered your own question. :)