RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
CommonTek

Thinkpad 2 Finally 4 Sale

CommonTek

Today Lenovo oficially opened preorders on its site. It is expected to ship 1-7-13. There are three options:

1- 64Gb W8 32 bit, no digitizer pen for $649

2- 64Gb W8 32 bit, with digitzer and pen for $679

3- 64Gb W8 Pro, with digitizer and pen for $729

Lenovovision also posted its Thinkpad 2 Unboxing today on YouTube however the setup/production of the video leaves some to be desired.

Mine is on order!

quixotic

The more I read about this device, the better it looks in comparison to everything else coming for full Windows devices. I'll wait a couple of more weeks and see what the first user impressions are. this my be the one I've been waiting for.

CommonTek

I agree. I don't think the value can be beat which is why I purchased one. I am a bit miffed though, I see the W8 Pro OS is now 699 vs 729. The only reason I stayed with std W8 was becauseI didnt want to pay 50 more of pro but now it is just 20 more.

quixotic

Adding up the cost of the Pro tablet, keyboard, dock and sleeve comes to just under a grand. Still need to get an Office license on top of that so this is an expensive proposition.

I'm still confused about the CPU. The Thinkpad 2 comes with the Atom. Other brands are coming out with i5 and i7's. Should that be a concern? The Atom, while slower (I think) will probably be better when it comes to power consumption which should make the battery last a lot longer but what's the performance penalty?

CommonTek

Your use should drive what processor you need. Personally, most applications I will use are perfectly suitable for the Atom. I am not a hardcore power user, mostly a major content consumption hog with moderate work. If you are going to be graphically heavy, or needing to run many, many applications at once then you want an I5 or I7. I have used other Atom devices such as the Samsung Ativ 500 and really enjoyed the performance but again it depends what you are doing. Battery life in most instances for the I series options is often mitigated by dock/keyboard accessories that have built in batteries so don't let that scare you (unless you want a Surface Pro...Run). Personally, I don't find the I series with the extra $300 - $700 worth it because if I am going to do work that power intensive then I want a full sized device such as the Yoga, not a small screen tablet device.

CommonTek

P.S. I was joking about running from Surface Pro. The major drawback there is no battery built into the keyboard and an estimate 4-6 hours max of standard battery life.

quixotic

Say no more, I'm convinced. I've spent quite a bit of time reading as much as possible about this latest Atom processor. It's dual CPU at least with 4 concurrent threads.

Also, the more I read, the more I'm convinced I need a Pro vs. an RT device. I'm glad I didn't let my emotions to buy one at the end of November get to me.

I almost went through with the pre-order today but I'm traveling the week of 7th Jan and don't want to have it arrive without me being here. So, a couple of more weeks before I pull the trigger.

CommonTek

If you have the chance while you are traveling, swing through a best buy or staples and get your hands on the Samsung Smart PC Ativ 500. That also runs ATOM and will give you a direct on hands comparison and feel for performance vs. the ARM powered RT tablets. The Samsung also has a digitizer and pen input as well. Overall it should be a very good indicator of what we will get with the Thinkpad 2.

quixotic

TabletJunkie - I'm dying to know if your tablet got delivered or is on it's way. Also, can't wait to read about your first experience with it. I'm out of the country so there are no best buys around to try out the Samsung :(

Dave

I have private appointments with both Samsun and Lenovo at CES 2013 and will get you guys some video.  Tune in to the broadcast and ask questions!  I have the MSI Slidebook S20 up on the blog right now.  I can't wait to see the Lenovo.