RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dlna Support?

pquirk

My Surface RT discovers my Toshiba LCD TV, and enables the "Play to" menu option when I right click on a movie or picture in the Windows Explorer. However, the transfer fails with an error. Does anyone know if this is supposed to work, and if so, what I might need to do to make it work?

• 4 months later...

Using 'Play To' on my Surface RT is one of the features that I like best. I'd never been able to use the feature on my Windows 7 devices but it works great with the Surface.

One note, I was only able to use my DLNA 1.5 compliant receiver within Windows Explorer until I heard the podcast that mentioned the following article:

http://digitalmediaphile.com/index.php/2013/03/30/using-uncertified-play-to-devices-on-surface-rt-w8-apps/

...and now I can use the Metro music app in addition to Windows Explorer. That was a great find Dave, many thanks!

Is anyone else using Play To - with uncertified devices in Windows Explorer or 'certified' devices in Metro apps?

I am using the Play To function with my Sonos devices, using the process from the link above. It is working well. There are many levels of DLNA so that can effect support. Make sure your tv is at the latest firmware level.

Another route to the media streaming function that looks promising is Plex;

http://www.plexapp.com/

There is a Plex app for RT. I have not had time to play with it, just research. Reviews are positive from people I trust. 

Ha! After reading this thread I decided to test Play To from my Surface Pro to my Sony Bravia. It worked! I was able to play MP3 music and JPG photos. I couldn't get it to play AVI or MP4 videos though - unsupported format. I will check for updates for the Bravia.

Thanks Dave. Great link.

BTW, does anyone think I would have better luck with video if I hooked up a WD TV Plus to my Bravia?

Thanks Dave. Great link.

BTW, does anyone think I would have better luck with video if I hooked up a WD TV Plus to my Bravia?

Based on the one I set up for my father-in-law I would say yes. I was very impressed at how well it worked. We tested many file types, including blue-ray and DVD iso's and folder structures. It all worked, except on one it wouldn't play menu's.

Thanks ITTOG. One correction; it's a WD TV Live, not Plus. Not that that necessarily matters.

Anyway, I finally found the AC adapter for the WD TV Live (I have 2 of them and they've been on the shelf for many months because the menu system on them sucks bananas).

I hooked it up to my LAN this morning and powered it up. I found it on my Surface Pro and added it as a device. I tried playing an MP4. It looks like it worked. I can't be sure 'cause I don't have a spare HDMI cable :( Anyway, it didn't complain.

I'll look into hooking it up with an optical, component, or composite cable, just to see if I get anything.