RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ssh Client In Windows Store

berty6294

This is a big deal for me! This used to be the only reason I needed my laptop. Now that this app is available, my laptop will never see the light of day!

So far it is a quite good app, does what it needs and does it very well! There are some minor issues but the developers site says they already have a patch on its way out!

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-US/app/ssh-terminal-emulator/d62a6b2a-bc53-4078-b688-3223bf310266

• Like 1

Nice! Running the trial now but I haven't found a reason not to buy it. Only minor issue is I had to give my key files extensions for the app to find them. Thanks.

Actually I cheat. I used the same key pair I generated for my desktop, actually I use the same keypair on all my personal PCs. I generated it on my mac long ago (wrote about it here back in 2008, not sure if the commands are exactly the same). But Windows PuttyGen can be used (but not on the Surface RT)

I did try just renaming my putty formatted private key file so the apps file browser would see it so it doesn't appear to support the native putty key format. But PuttyGen can still be used to create a working key pair.

If you follow the previous link and have a Mac the instructions about 1/2 way down the article will do this. Just give the private key a .ssh extension so that the app will see it when browsing. No need to use Putty.

If you already have OpenSSH keys just have the private key file a .SSH extension. (This is what I did)

To generate a new key pair with Windows:

1. Install Puttygen from here (or all of Putty if you plan to use it). Not much of an install, just an executable.

2. Run PuttyGen

3. Click the "generate" button and move the mouse until the key is ready (it will tell you what to do)

4. Click the buttons to save the public and private key.

5. From the menu select "Conversions" -> "Export OpenSSH key" and save the file with a .ssh extension. (The extension is simply so this app's file browser will see it.)

6. Install the public key on the remote server (depends on OS and setup). Usually involves pasting into an authorized hosts file.

7. Copy the exported OpenSSH key from step 5 to the Surface RT and browse for it when configuring the server connection in the App.

The private key file in step 4 isn't used, but probably good to have in case you use Putty on Windows.

I'm not familiar with all the SSH server possibilities out there. I've only dealt with OpenSSH or servers that understand OpenSSH keys.

Hopefully this makes some sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

eh ive also noticed the arrow keys will not register :/

Which ones aren't working for you? I've found the up/down arrows work for command history and left/right travel the command line. Both on-screen and touch keybpards. I've only used it on one server so far, running Debian 6.

Thanks, osquest! Copying over an existing key worked like a charm.

Actually I cheat. I used the same key pair I generated for my desktop, actually I use the same keypair on all my personal PCs. I generated it on my mac long ago (wrote about it here back in 2008, not sure if the commands are exactly the same). But Windows PuttyGen can be used (but not on the Surface RT)

I did try just renaming my putty formatted private key file so the apps file browser would see it so it doesn't appear to support the native putty key format. But PuttyGen can still be used to create a working key pair.

If you follow the previous link and have a Mac the instructions about 1/2 way down the article will do this. Just give the private key a .ssh extension so that the app will see it when browsing. No need to use Putty.

If you already have OpenSSH keys just have the private key file a .SSH extension. (This is what I did)

To generate a new key pair with Windows:

1. Install Puttygen from here (or all of Putty if you plan to use it). Not much of an install, just an executable.

2. Run PuttyGen

3. Click the "generate" button and move the mouse until the key is ready (it will tell you what to do)

4. Click the buttons to save the public and private key.

5. From the menu select "Conversions" -> "Export OpenSSH key" and save the file with a .ssh extension. (The extension is simply so this app's file browser will see it.)

6. Install the public key on the remote server (depends on OS and setup). Usually involves pasting into an authorized hosts file.

7. Copy the exported OpenSSH key from step 5 to the Surface RT and browse for it when configuring the server connection in the App.

The private key file in step 4 isn't used, but probably good to have in case you use Putty on Windows.

I'm not familiar with all the SSH server possibilities out there. I've only dealt with OpenSSH or servers that understand OpenSSH keys.

Hopefully this makes some sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

Which ones aren't working for you? I've found the up/down arrows work for command history and left/right travel the command line. Both on-screen and touch keybpards. I've only used it on one server so far, running Debian 6.

See I don't really know much about ssh clients, I just use it for homework. I program my homeworks on python using a gl server.

But when I open a .py file in emacs it doesn't allow me to use my arrow keys to navigate the file

eh ive also noticed the arrow keys will not register :/

Updated today. Numerous terminal fixes in the notes including "fixed arrow keys in vim".