RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gmail Desktop Site & Ie10

AlanJay

Can I ask if when using the surfaceRT web browser and visiting the desktop gmail site, does the editor that comes up when drafting or replying to an email, include the functions such as canned response etc. and do they actually function properly.

I have an iPad and its extremely hit and miss, typically not working in this area. I am planning to get a surface but would like to know if its better in this respect. Any advise greatly appreciated.

I don't use canned responses, to can't tell you on that. However, I tried both the old and new style compose windows and am having no problems with either.

• Like 1

I don't used canned responses either but I haven't found any feature that doesn't work. I use the Apps version of GMail if it matters. I have tried it on the iPad too and gave up in frustration. In general, IE on the Surface RT is much better than Safari on the browser when it comes to touch on websites. Not saying it's perfect, but better than the iPad for sure.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. I use canned responses to quickly reply to client enquiries and they have become pretty much essential right now. Being able to do this out of the office was why i purchased the iPad, but alas it is not the Messiah device tech writers so often claim. I will hope it works on the Surface when I get one...

Thanks for the feedback guys. I use canned responses to quickly reply to client enquiries and they have become pretty much essential right now. Being able to do this out of the office was why i purchased the iPad, but alas it is not the Messiah device tech writers so often claim. I will hope it works on the Surface when I get one...

It is 1:30AM here now, but in the morning I will add a canned response to my gmail account and use it from my surface. If that is the reason you are ordering the thing, I want to make sure it works for you!

• Like 1

Hi FinsUpDNC,

Many thanks, for the assistance, I want to purchase a Surface regardless as the device interests me and offers a little more is some areas than my Ipad. I did find that working through the gmail mobile site and finding the desktop option, in Safari at least the canned response did seem to work. But more the better if it works in IE10 on the surface.

AlanJay, I just read this thread and logged into my Gmail account through the Metro version of IE10. I have found that if something is going to fail in IE10, it's more likely to do so in the Metro version (read: the version launched from the homescreen tile versus the desktop version). Anyhow, everything worked, including canned responses. I had never used that functionality before so I actually went in and set the whole thing up on my Surface RT tablet and then tried to use it. Success all the way around.

Hopefully this helps.

For what it's worth, I still use my iPad (primarily for reading periodicals), although when I actually need to "get things done" (which is most of the time), I use my Surface RT. I am betting you'll find you're in a similar boat if you decide to make the plunge. Good luck, either way!

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, I am much happier knowing it all works OK, now I have to source a Surface RT here in the Philippines, sadly a grey import as its not officially released here. Will let you know when I get one and pass on my thoughts. A great forum with helpful and friendly members. Cheers again...