RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Missing Server

Gary

Ok..

I've been listening to the home server show for a while now and I finally got on the forums.

I can't see my media smart server from my laptop. I can see it from other devices. The laptop is being backed up ok. I can log into the router from the laptop and see it connected. I can bring up the network and sharing center on the laptop and click on my network and see my server in media devices and other devices (I'm not sure what the other devices thing is about) but still no server in the computer section. I do see my other computers in the computer section though and if I go to those computers I can see the server.

So anybody have any ideas why I can't see the server from just my laptop? Thanks!

Gary

Also - I can't connect using the connector from the laptop.

Edited by Gary

Welcome,

Ok, so just to confirm a few things.

You installed the connector on your laptop and it shows up as green ?

You have a user account on your laptop that has a different name than any other laptop or PC on your network.

You created an account on the server for the laptop user with the same user name and password.

You connected to your network and the server wired, not wireless.

The workgroup name on the laptop and all your PC's including the server are the same.

What is the OS of the client? I can guess based on a comment but need to specify. If Vista or 7, is password protected sharing turned off? What do you mean "can't use the connector"? How was the connector installed?

Can you ping the server from the laptop? If you receive an error, what is it? It generally helps to keep both devices within the same Workgroup name. Can you RDP into the server from the client using the Admin account?

Welcome,

Ok, so just to confirm a few things.

You installed the connector on your laptop and it shows up as green ?

You have a user account on your laptop that has a different name than any other laptop or PC on your network.

You created an account on the server for the laptop user with the same user name and password.

You connected to your network and the server wired, not wireless.

The workgroup name on the laptop and all your PC's including the server are the same.

Thanks for replying!

I reset the password on the server for the username on the laptop and I'm working now. Thanks!

Gary