RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Interesting Look At Reviews

FinsUpDNC

I am a big of gdgt.com as a place to go before I buy my gadgets as they just compile reviews from all around the web. One thing they do is show on one side the "professional" reviews, and on the other side they show reviews of users that actually own the device.

The disparity of the Surface reviews are shocking. Just look and read for yourself.

http://gdgt.com/microsoft/surface/with-windows-rt/

I think the "professional" reviewers haven't a clue about how the Surface actually performs and what it's good at. Since it doesn't fit neatly into their categories they just junk it.

I agree, I also think they tested to see if it could do what the iPad does and gave it a grade. How about going back and seeing if the iPad can do what the surface does? You could blast the ipad for not having two things open on the screen, no word, excel, or powerpoint, no live tiles, etc. The point is the reviews are based on what a lot in the media consider the perfect device. I like my iPad, and have had it for a few years. I did not use it that much however because I am always trying to get some work done, even when enjoying some fun on a device. The iPad made that difficult, and since I got the surface it has been a great mix for me and I use it all the time.

I still also believe that many in the blogosphere, and what many sites consider to be the professionals made their money and names covering apple's rise from the ipod. If Apple does not maintain their standing, many of those sites will lose a lot of money. It is not because they can't cover Msoft, Google, a Surface, etc. It is because with so many OEM's and devices, they won't have those days every six months where the world stops to see what is announced at WWDC or iPhone event. You will a constant flow of devices and new specs coming out. I spoke to a reporter for a very well known tech news site at the Win 8 launch who covers mobile about this. He agreed and said it shows in the android vs. apple coverage. Android is the dominant player right now, but you would never know it.

I found the reviews to be comical, and a disservice to the consumer/reader they were trying to reach. All I read from the "Pro" reviewer is how the Surface RT is too complicated to learn, does not install Legacy Apps/.EXE, the screen has a lower resolution than the iPad and Nexus 10, the lack of apps, and the desktop. It feels like these reviewers are reading each others reviews, and using the same "cons" to describe the Surface RT.

My favorite/most annoying phrase that I seem to spot on most reviews is "The Surface RT doesn't know what it wants to be -- a tablet, or laptop. It does neither well". I almost puke when I read that, simply because the Surface is what WE make it, and that is the beauty of this tablet. It can be used as a media device, and for productivity -- at the same time, if preferred. It's the flexibility in the Surface RT that sold me.

I found the reviews to be comical, and a disservice to the consumer/reader they were trying to reach. All I read from the "Pro" reviewer is how the Surface RT is too complicated to learn, does not install Legacy Apps/.EXE, the screen has a lower resolution than the iPad and Nexus 10, the lack of apps, and the desktop. It feels like these reviewers are reading each others reviews, and using the same "cons" to describe the Surface RT.

My favorite/most annoying phrase that I seem to spot on most reviews is "The Surface RT doesn't know what it wants to be -- a tablet, or laptop. It does neither well". I almost puke when I read that, simply because the Surface is what WE make it, and that is the beauty of this tablet. It can be used as a media device, and for productivity -- at the same time, if preferred. It's the flexibility in the Surface RT that sold me.

Well we found out last week after the PRWEB debacle that these sites do just copy each other, so that would make sense. You are spot on with your second part as well. The inference that the iPad is the baseline is the problem. The iPad was not my baseline as it could not do a lot things I needed it to do.

While there are exceptions, I don't think most reviews show a specific Apple bias. Most I've read are pretty accurate on the facts, the pluses and the minuses. I think the bias comes in, if bias is the right word, is converting those pluses and minuses to a numeric value which we all seem to want, along with a bias to pick winners and losers. Despite using my Surface daily while my iPad sits idle I do think the Surface RT is too rough around the edges to be suitable for everyone. The iPad is still a safer recommendation unless someone knows they want Surface specific features and are aware of its shortcomings.

Where is see more pro-Apple bias is in the main stream media. Because Apple is so well known and does bring the eyeballs they jump at the chance to cover Apple. And that coverage tends to be superficial.

• Like 1