RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JVB

Surface Rt How To: Free Up 4 Gigabytes Of Storage Space On Your Rt.

JVB

Wanna learn how to free up 4 gigs of storage space on your Surface RT? Find out how by watching my video.

scoobyx

Cool video - have you done a recovery from the external drive? I have done a recovery on my Surface RT once already and it was really seamless (it was completely done from the metro interface versus having to go into the backup/recovery app within Control Panel). I am just curious to know if it would be as easy after the recovery files are removed from the device.

• Like 1

JVB

Your external drive would be automatically reformatted and you would lose everything on that drive.

Edited by JVB

SurfaceNerd

Thanks JVB for sharing this.

scoobyx

JVB, I am still unclear on how this affects restoring your Surface. It seems like it would make either process (refresh or restore, both of which I have gone through on my tablet) problematic. Have you attempted to do either of these processes since moving the files to an external device?

JVB

I have not tried a restore, but your thumb drive will become your "restore" partition. You will need that thumb drive when you need to restore.

RMansfield

Ok I did this, but I've already lost my USB drive once. Fortunately, I found it, but I think long term, this (for me) is going to cause trouble.

Is there any way to move the recovery partition BACK to the Surface from the USB drive?

JBresky

I have don ten above and my USB drive seems to have gone missing for some reason. Might be an animal involved. Is there any way to get a recovery partition back and from someone else win 8.1 machine.

WolfJT

You can download RT recovery files from MS. I'd put the link in this window but it won't paste in for some reason. Send me a direct message and I'll send it to you,