RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Got A W700 This Afternoon.

axoid

I made the leap this afternoon. I stopped at Microcenter and bought a Acer w700 tablet. I'm still just starting with it so I cann't say a lot about it. The one thing I have notice so far is the WIFI connectivity seem a little week.

It's an i3 version with 64 Gb SSD and has 38 Gb free out of the box. The price was $749.

I came with a dock, bluetooth keyboard, power supply, case that doubles as a stand, VGA adapter and system disks.

I'll keep everyone apprised as I play with it.

Bill

I am very interested to hear what you think about this device, particularly with respect to battery life. Also, itms not clear whether it has GPS but Acer's website says it can be used for mapping and location based apps... With a 54Wh battery compared to 42Wh for Surface Pro this may give enough battery life to use as a tablet as well as a work device. Personally, if I can get 6 hours real use (they claim 8-9), I will probably get one with Core i5 and 128GB SSD (because there is no micro SD 64GB seems a little small once I've installed everything I want) - Scan in the UK are listing this for shipping in the UK for Dec 8th.

I had the same concern about drive space, specially after seeing all the space that Lenovo is wasting on the Yoga. Buy after getting my hands on the W700 and having 38 gig left on the drive, I thought it was worth the $250 saving. Plus I'm using a low profile USB memory stick that barely sticks out of the device.

I'm in Chicago this weekend, so it's trial by fire for the W700.

Back from Chicago. A couple on new updates.

No the W700 does not have gps. But is does seem to have some way of figuring out where I am. I was connected to the hotel wi-fi and did a search through Bing and it knew I was in Chicago. The same thing with the weather app. Saturday it knew I was in Chicago and today it knows I'm in Columbus without me telling it anything.

As for battery life. I didn't get to use it a lot on my trip, but I never needed to charge it and I still had about 50% charge left. But I will admit have I had tweaked the power settings a little. I had configured to Max CPU on battery to be 50%. That may have saved me some power and I never really noticed a lag with it set this way. I have it set back to 100% now and I'm going to try to run it down from full charge today. I have Doctor Who at 1080p running on loop right now. :D

Oh, a third thing that I noticed. I looks like the Bluetooth keyboard in made by Logitech. I had bought a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard for my Mrs. The two keyboards look exactly alike, minus color and some of the labels on a few of the keys.

Interesting to hear about the lack of GPS - I am hoping that I can use a BT GPS for the occasional navigation use - I've been trying this on Windows 8 and so far under desktop applications it works fine but the Metro interface doesn't seem to have a way to turn it on/off. It is a little disappointing, though, that something you can get on a £200 tablet isn't available on something that costs 3 times as much (the only one that definitely seems to is the Asus Vivotab Clovertrail). It's not just for navigation per se but I'd like a full range of sensors so that I can use it for developing/testing some of the apps I hope to build with it.

Battery life is still the key for me, though - I don't mind tweaking the settings - as long as with typical tablet uses like watching video or browsing the web it gets good enough battery life for me.

The keyboard isn't ideal for me - I'd have preferred one with function keys like that on the W510 but again, I can live with pressing a modifier key.

That is actually pretty impressive for that hardware - I think I'm sold on this now! Other UK sellers than Scan are listing it later than Dec 8th but some US sellers such as newegg actually have it in stock so they are clearly rolling off the production line. 50% max CPU would actually be OK for many uses I expect to make of it. I am guessing i5 should give roughly similar battery life to i3. For all the criticism that Acer have had for poor hardware quality in the past, they are one of the few OEMs that haven't hiked the price up in the UK and their comments about many of the initial Windows 8 devices being too expensive for many have been spot on - the W700 and W510 on paper at least look much better value. I also see that there are a whole host of updated drivers on Acer's website which comments on newegg appear to suggest will resolve the poor wifi connectivity problems.

I recently purchased the same tablet. Thanks for the info on the lack of GPS. As far as battery goes for mine, ehe longest that I have used mine was about 4 hours straight and I still had close to 50% battery life. I am not sure where my CPU % was at though. I will have to look into that setting. I purchased the logitech keyboard for my girlfriend and noticed it was the same as well. Small world :).

• 2 weeks later...