RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Surface Won't Play Local Music

ZipZapRap

Hi all

Having some trouble playing my music on my Surface. Everything is stored locally (on a MicroSD card). Up until yesterday, I could play all my tracks just fine.

Last night I both reset the device (I was having issues with apps crashing) and entered a 3 month Xbox Music pass code. Now all of my music has been matched to the cloud (shown by the broadcast icon), and now, when I’m not connected to the internet, I can’t play ANY local tracks, except by going “open file”.

At first, I got error message 0xc00d1126 when attempting to play. So I connected to the internet, redownloaded the Music app, and then tried again. This time I get error code 0xc1010091. But the same outcome – I can’t play local music automatically!!!

This is REALLY annoying. Is there any way to force the app/device to play music locally first in the app, before streaming from the cloud??

Uggh, this app alone has made my experience with Surface really bad. It’s been nothing but trouble. Any help would be most appreciated as right now, I just feel like getting rid of this thing.

Thank you

P.S. I have read the other thread on this issue, which hasn't helped.

ZipZap, I have not tried disconnecting from WiFi and trying to play music. I am going to try that and I will repost if I have any troubles.

One thing I have noticed with the music app and my microsd card - after I put music on the card, I normally have to leave the music app open for a while before it brings my local music into the library. FWIW, I don't like this behavior and personally, I consider it super buggy, but if it fixes your issue for now, maybe it's worth trying.

Like you, the music app creates a TON of heartburn between me and my Surface.

Thank you scoobyx

Yes, I’ve noticed that as well. But I’ve left the Music app open for a while previously (about half an hour), and nothing was added. I’ll try and leave it on overnight tonight and see what happens.

I don’t understand how this app was ever allowed to be released in its current state. It’s really a horrible bit of code, that causes nothing but grief.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      For sale , Microsoft Surface 3 tablet , 4 gigs memory, 128 gig storage
      good  used condition

includes
      Urban Armor Gear scout case for surface 3
      Blue type cover for surface 3
      Surface 3 pen
      and charger/cable

Asking $200 Plus actual shipping from Central Indiana, USA 

I love the tablet, but had to get an Ipad so I could facetime with my granddaughter !
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Panos Panay just wowed the Microsoft crowd with two incredible hardware reveals. The first was the SurfaceBook i7 with a whopping 16 hours of battery life.  The second was Surface Studio. I dare you to call it an "All in One" after today.

I'll be chatting about all this gear on my new podcast, RESET. Find it here: mccabe.io

Surface Studio

The specs of Studio are impressive but visually it is stunning. It has 28" of wow that can be manipulated to however you prefer to create.

Screen: 28" PixelSense Display
      Resolution: 4500 x 3000 (192 DPI)
      Color settings: Adobe sRGB, DCI-P3 and Vivid Color Profiles, Individually color calibrated
      Touch: 10-point multi-touch
      Aspect Ratio: 3:2
      Surface Pen
      Zero Gravity Hinge
      Quad-core 6th Gen Intel Core i5 or i7
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 2GB GPU GDDR5 memory or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GPU GDDR5 memory

It looks like a creative persons dream machine.  Apple picked a bad week to follow Microsoft when it comes to hardware reveals.  I personally would like to try the Studio and Dial with some video editing software.  I think it will be great for that.

Look at the Microsoft Store online for more photos.  It really is a nice looking Surface. Link Here.

Surface Book

The Surface Book is plain and simple; More.  More graphics and more battery.  It's a little heavier and starts at 3.6 pounds where last year's Surface Book was 3.3 pounds.  Maybe it's the new 6th Gen Intel Core i7 or the i7: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory.  That's nice but Panos stated they just put in more battery!  It's nice to see that.  Adds a little weight but for those that want the battery life it's a welcome change.

Surface Dial
      The Dial is impressive.  It's compatible with any Windows 10 enabled PC, laptop, or tablet as long as it has the Anniversary Update.  Don't try this with your Surface Pro but it will stick to the screen of the Surface Studio!  It will have optimized off screen compatibility with Surface Book and SP4.

It's a jog dial on steroids and Panos and software partners demo'd many uses of it. Color wheel, zoom in, etc.  It's $99 and can be purchased now for delivery on November 10th.

Thanks for shopping with my links.  Maybe I can get one too!
    • EON1488993291
      By EON1488993291
      Hello!

I have a Surface RT (32 GB) and it only has 1.69 GB of space left on the HD. The thing is that I have almost nothing on it (just a few apps that I check and do NOT take a lot of space, and small files), so I don't know what is taking so much space. Does anyone knows where is all that memory going? I have not being able to find it (I have checked the size of the apps, delete the trash can, delete the internet history/cookies)...

Also, I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1. These are the two ways that I have think of doing it, but I will like your opinion on which option is better (or if there is a better way):

Plan 1: take the tablet to its original status (in PC settings > General > Remove everything and reinstall Windows), move the recovery files to a thumb drive (http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/192-surface-rt-how-to-free-up-4-gigabytes-of-storage-space-on-your-rt/), and do all updates to take it to Windows 8.1

Plan 2: free some space by moving the recovery files to a thumb drive, make the upgrade to Windows 8.1, run a cleanup disk and defragment the drive

Making a backup of the files in the tablet is easy b/c there is not much in it, but my main concerns for the process are: I am going to loose microsoft office? is it going to ask me for any key/license number (if I ever had one, I don't know where it is)? anything else that I am missing?

Thanks!

EON
    • andypdm
      By andypdm
      Hello everybody!

I have a Surface Pro 4 i7 with 512GB which was very expensive! After a couple of months I have noticed that sometimes when I put it to sleep it won't wake up and I have to reset the whole thing. I love the device and use it a lot, and I twitted Microsoft and they contacted me and say that I have to replace it... I am OK with that but I live in UK and the service is from USA, they say they do not have my device and have to send me a refurbished one, on the other hand I can see the UK store has my model. 

My question is, what do you guys think of refurbished devices? Does it affect the performance? I am not too annoyed about the issue, I just do not put it to sleep anymore, but on the other hand it is annoying that a new and expensive item does not work properly. What would you guys do? I mostly use my Surface to draw with Illustrator and Photoshop... 

I would appreciate any short of advice and help!

Thank you very much!
    • james09
      By james09
      Now that the firm ware issue seems to have been settled, I am interested in purchasing a Surface Pro 4.  It will mostly be used for regular computing and web surfing, a little gaming and book keeping with most of the files stored on my 2011 home server.  So based on what I have read, the i5 processor should be fine for those uses.  

However, I will also being using it for a great deal of streaming and movie watching.  I was wondering whether 16Gb might be better than 8Gb for streaming, and whether the processor in the i7 might also accommodate a better picture while streaming.  Does anyone have a web site, a source or and opinion on this issue?

Thanks