RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

This Is Why Verizon Doesn't Sell Many Windows Phones

berty6294

They just don't know how great it is!

I went in the other day to purchase an 8x. Spent some time at the counter and the lady was doing my purchase and stuff like that. She went to set it up and she didnt know what to do.

I took the phone from her and put in my live account and password. She was like "yeh, i find windows phone users to be very techy and know exactly what to do"

i was like "ma'am all i did was put in my email and password" then showed her...

• my contacts were already in
  • my pictures syncronized
  • my music syncronized
  • my facebook and twitter accounts already set up
  • my calender was already syncronized
  • me email was already set up and messages syncronized
  • all of my documents and OneNote notebooks were already syncronized
  • etc etc

Her as well as every other employee in the store were in complete shock. They thought it was the most incredible thing they have ever seen! Not to mention, all of them were given the WP8 training as well as a free 8x as their company phone!

Its incredible how a little knowledge can go a long way! Im sure that store will be selling many more Windows Phones now that I impressed them all!

berty, I have run into the EXACT same thing at AT&T. Honestly, I think there are two things at play - one more significant than the other. First, I know sales reps are being spiffed to sell Android phones. The hardware manufacturers are in there handing out cash to reps who sell their gear. Second, (and this is strictly my opinion) people tend to take the path of least resistance. Right now, the iPhone is the path of least resistance. From both a salesperson's standpoint and the end-user, the iPhone is currently the go-to easy path.

In our favor, Microsoft and their partners (carriers and hardware vendors alike) are throwing some serious coin at marketing the WP/Win8 platforms. I have seen so many ads lately for both and it makes me happy each time. Hopefully over time, people will come to recognize the superiority of the platform and a shift will start to occur.

I did not buy my phone at store, I preordered online and because of a shipping issue spoke to 3 different Verizon Reps and they all told me when the found out I was purchasing a Windows Phone told me that they just had a training class and they were surprised by how much they liked the new devices. Granted it could have been BS but, I was encouraged by the fact that they had some kind of training

Exactly. I mean each sales person in my store pulled an 8x out of their left pocket and said "Yeah, this is my personal phone too!" but then I catch them sneaking off a text using the iPhone they pull out of their right pocket!

I have noticed the the ATT corporate stores (corporate being key) have been great pushing these phones. They have all been wearing blue shirts that say Windows, nice displays, etc. The store I picked up my 920 at the manager had just switched to a Windows phone so something must be working.

• 1 month later...
I have noticed the the ATT corporate stores (corporate being key) have been great pushing these phones. They have all been wearing blue shirts that say Windows, nice displays, etc. The store I picked up my 920 at the manager had just switched to a Windows phone so something must be working.

The district manager for the corporate stores in my area also has a 920.  I know him personally and that he cares 0% about his personal cell phone.  He is a nice guy, but just happens to work with a cell service provider (He has been with them since they were Pacific Bell).  I can tell that AT&T is doing stuff (including big ads), but I just don't think it is having much impact. The few AT&T employees I talked to weren't excited about them either.

T-Mobile has seemed like the worst which is a huge blow, they have smaller numbers, but (until recently) everyone who walked in the store was at least open to not getting the iPhone.  My local head Tmo store only had 2 wp7 phones that were in the corner in the clearly marked "Business" section with non working displays placed at knee level height.  I got word that a MS rep came down and offered them a free copy of windows 8 if they completed the online training.  They designated 1 T-Mobile employee to be a windows phone guy and it was pretty much because he drew he short straw.  

Poor execution on MS's part.  I've worked in retail and had awesome product reps who would bring pizza for lunch like once a year,  have incentives like a prize for the branch that sells the most product, and give out candy, keychains, and stickers out at the meetings.  It sounds dumb, but it has a definite effect.  It also seems dumb to have to motivate store employees to do their job, but w/e it's money better spent than making more tv ads.

Edited by DoctaJones
  • Like 1