RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
29whit

Surface Won't Wake Up

29whit

Not sure where this problem lies but I wonder if anyone else is having the same.

Problem is that when my Surface has been in sleep (invoked by briefly pressing the power button) in my rucksack with the touch keyboard attached it won't come back on.

I get in out and press the power button, nothing happens. I press keys on the touchcover, nothing happens. So I tried holding the power button for 10 seconds, nothing happens. Tried plugging in the power, still nothing happens, eventually I take off the touch cover and hold down the power button for 10 seconds, eventually the SURFACE logo comes up on the screen and in cold boots. By the way, when I checked the battery was nearly fully charged.

This isn't right!

I have a replacement touch cover coming this week so hopefully that might have some impact. Getting replacement as the cover has split just below the windows icon on the screen.

Any one else got the same problem.

scoobyx

29whit, I have had something like that (I didn't keep accurate track of the amount of time spent pressing, etc.) happen to me before. It's only happened once so I just wrote it off as a feature bug. With your report, however, I am going to keep an eye on my Surface for further bad behavior.

FWIW, my Surface came back on after keeping the power button pressed for an extended period of time, but not on the first try - it might have been the second or third prolonged hold. I am/have been using the type cover so I don't know if that's the culprit or not.

osquest1488993265

I had the same experience as scoobyx and also passed it off as a one time event. Only difference is I use the touch cover. This was also a while ago, before the latest update.

R0bR

I've had my Surface since early November and never had an issue with my Surface waking up. I don't use the power button to put the Surface to sleep, I've always just shut the touch cover and it's always waken up without issue. I also don't notice any increased battery drain doing it that way.

29whit

Replacement Keyboar arrived but makes no difference to the actual operation.

Turns out I have a faulty unit. Microsoft will be shipping me out a replacement in the next few days!

scoobyx

29whit, it's never great to get a faulty unit but I am glad to hear you have some positive traction and will be getting a replacement unit soon!

FinsUpDNC

Glad to hear that they are replacing it without much issue. I have not had this issue at all, and I do tap the power button to shut the screen a lot when I keep it open, but am done using it for a while. Let us know what happens next.