RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Rt To Whs V1 Or 2011?

axoid

Has anyone used an RT device to log into a home server and access files, use the control panel or remote to pcs?. Wondering if there are any problem with MS new ARM OS.

I still use a V.1 server to remote into my home computers. I also have a 2011 box as the media server. I'm planing to wait for a i5 PRO device, but curious if an RT device would cover some of my needs and being able to use the WHS features it key to my decision.

Bill

Windows RT can access the server as just a file server easy (still Windows after all). I only have a 2011 box to test with but media playing in the browser won't work (Silverlight based). Remote Server/Client access does work but only if you're browsing from desktop IE.

Accessing my WHS 2011 shares was one of the primary wish list items for my Surface. After I determined that I had to add my shares to the libraries, I've had no problems accessing them on the Surface since October 26th.

For real fun, add Skydrive to the WHS. Doing so enables great integration opportunities - especially with Windows Phone 8.