RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote Access - Network Critical

joem

Hate to beat this dead horse to death, but I started getting this error on October the 3rd every other day about 9AM. It coincided with my dynamic dns updater. It would get the error, but could still log onto my domain web site. Go figure.

Actually I thought it was just me. I have been having issues as well. Finally turn off remote access and started accessing only through my extra PC running Logmein.

Not to go off on a tangent, but did it ever occur to anyone how many relatively little things we have to deal with which would stump the average home user and turn them away from WHS? I tend not to notice because for me it's not a problem, but pity the average person looking for an 'appliance'.

Never looked at it quite that way but great point. It does not seem that hard but when you think about it in terms of the average consumer, it can be confusing. We are not yet in the appliance category and I see Vail taking it further away from that, not closer which is cool for us as we can tinker but may detract the average consumer from picking one up.

Never looked at it quite that way but great point. It does not seem that hard but when you think about it in terms of the average consumer, it can be confusing. We are not yet in the appliance category and I see Vail taking it further away from that, not closer which is cool for us as we can tinker but may detract the average consumer from picking one up.

Yea, even the name, which has Server in it, puts people off. My brother thinks my EX475 is cool but when I offered to give it to him when I upgrade, his response was No can't have a server in the house would not know how to use it! WHS is a very cool niche product that will require some degree of technical aptitude to use for some time to come, IMHO.

Jim

Yeah. The minute you mention SERVER their eyes roll back in their head. If they used the appliance just to for the backup capabilities it would be simple and well worth it for them. I think... :unsure:

Never use the word "server" around the average home user. I always use the term "device" or appliance. Or as Ron Popel would say, "set it and forget it".