RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Comments After Using For A Couple Of Weeks

geekaccountant

There are a few things that I really like and a few things that are driving me nuts:

Things that are driving me nuts:

• When I hit the back button in IE, it doesn't go back a page. Instead it just refreshes the same page. Many times I have to double hit the back button to go back. DANG IT, if I hit the back button, GO BACK!!!!!!
  • I have the Skydrive Metro app, why can't I see Skydrive in Windows Explorer?
  • I want to pull images from Skydrive and use them in Word docs, but I can't get them. If this is possible and I have just over looked it, then it needs to be easier
  • I want Live Writer or some other decent blog software. Word doesn't allow tags and is really a poor blog writing tool
  • I am forever hitting the little mouse pad thing built into the keyboard and while I am typing, the curser moves somewhere I don't want it. Drives me crazy
  • The system has locked up on me several times and required a reboot.
  • Wish the kick stand had a second angle to allow the screen to be a little further back
  • Speakers are very weak unless the room is silent and you use your hand to bounce the sound back to you
  • New apps are coming at a snails pace. Given how massively behind they are, they should be pumping the store with new apps daily. Still don't have some of the basic stuff. Where is dropbox? How about a decent podcast catcher? And no Pandora? Everyone has Pandora, how is it there is no Pandora? Someone needs a kick in the a$$ to get this moving MUCH MUCH faster!
  • No 3/4g option. Without this, the product is DOA for us to use at the corporate level.

Ok, while the list goes on, but enough negative. Let's end on some positives:

• While the Type keyboard has the same mouse pad issues noted above, I love typing on this thing. I keep looking for reasons to use it. :)
  • Love the partial screen thing. I can keep Skype open on the left 1/3, so I can chat when needed and what ever I need to run on the other 2/3's
  • The wifi is really good and seems to get a signal even when it's weak.
  • I have gotten pretty good with the gestures and have come to like them and they feel pretty natural now

When I hit the back button in IE, it doesn't go back a page. Instead it just refreshes the same page. Many times I have to double hit the back button to go back. DANG IT, if I hit the back button, GO BACK!!!!!!

I find myself swiping to go back and really like it. Unfortunately I now do this on non-touch screens and devices.

I have the Skydrive Metro app, why can't I see Skydrive in Windows Explorer?

I want to pull images from Skydrive and use them in Word docs, but I can't get them. If this is possible and I have just over looked it, then it needs to be easier

Agreed. I had linked my Skydrive to drive C: but lost the link with today's update. Not sure if it was the patching, reboot or something else entirely.

Agree with you app comments too, frustrating along with the positives.

• Like 1

I think the SkyDrive folder in Windows Explorer deals with the SkyDrive app that isn't available for RT devices. The one that downloads with the Windows Essentials software. I have it running on my Windows 8 Pro laptop and I can see it fine.

osquest - how did you get it linked on your Surface RT?

osquest - how did you get it linked on your Surface RT?

With the disclaimer that the recent patch (or reboot) broke the link, but I was able to recreate the link. Also, this doesn't put the files locally, You need a network connect to access the files.

1. Open Skydrive in IE and logon

2. Right-Click on files in the left menubar and select propeties

3. Make a note (copy/paste) of the long number after the last "cid=" in the address URL property

4. In file explorer map a network drive:

5. Any drive letter. For the folder use https://h.docs.live.net/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

where xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is the number from step 3

6. Select connect using different credentials and put in the skydrive account logon and click finish.

• Like 2

I find myself swiping to go back and really like it. Unfortunately I now do this on non-touch screens and devices.

After spending so much time on my surface, you should see me try to navigate my phone! I get so frustrated when I realize the gestures im using dont actually work for my phone! Lol

I agree with the pros and cons. The biggest con for me is the split personality issue with desktop and the modern UI (RT should have moder UI only in my opinion) but second is the fact that MS hid the fact that you would lose 18 gigs of storage right off the bat thanks to the massive appetite of the OS and its inital updates. Also, why cant I get the 64 gig as a stand alone so I can purchase a type cover or different colored touch cover??? Why must I be forced into the black touch cover for 699?