RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Surface Rt Vga Adapter

schoondoggy

So far, I have found that the Microsoft VGA adapter works well with most monitors, but I have had issues with TV's and projectors. It looks like the VGA adapter will only do a min resolution of 1366x768 and a max resolution of 1920x1080. Did anyone buy one of these? Any issues with it? http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-GB/support/surface-with-windows-rt/music-photos-and-video/troubleshoot-the-surface-vga-and-hd-and-digital-av-adapters

I bought the adapter with my tablet and just got around to hooking it up this morning! Anyhow, I have an older Sanyo plasma (~40") tv in my office. I hooked up the Surface without an issue, until I tried to do something. Apparently my tv doesn't support the resolution that the Surface is driving, so I can't launch applications - all I can do is see the home screen and scroll around, etc. I will hook the Surface up to another tv later when I have time, but I would expect it will work fine. For what it's worth, this tv got pulled from it's original location because my Roku device wouldn't communicate with it over HDMI, so I am 100% sure any issues here are with the television and not the tablet/cable. Fortunately, the cable box that's hooked to the tv uses component connections so I get a decent HD picture without any trouble.

I have also run into some major issues with my Jambox bluetooth speaker today (trying to listen to some music). I am thinking there's some kind of issue between the devices, but I am not super interested in troubleshooting something else at this point. Not my best Surface day so far. :wacko:

It's also not a good Office 365 day, but that's another story for another time.

It appears that devices connected to the VGA adapter need to be 1366x768 or 1920x1080. Unfortunately, there are lots of devices that are 1280x720. I will test a bit more. The bigger concern is the connection the cable makes to the Surface. It seems to easily miss align and lose signal.

I purchased the cable that was recommended in the blog article here: http://surfacegeeks.net/microsoft-surface-rt-to-tv-no-adapter-needed.html

I initially tried to get it the HDMI routed to a PC so I could capture it for video tutorials. I get the same thing you are in that it says the resolution is to small even though it's going to a PC with a 22" monitor and a much larger resolution than the surface itself. Metro screen is there but you can't run apps.

I just hooked it up to a 55" LED Samsung TV and it worked fine. I thought it might look a little better though.

I really need a Windows 7/8 app that I can use to capture an AVERMedia HDMI port. The card is the HD DVR card. I've tried VLC and the crap software that came with the card.

I don't have the VGA adapter, but just using the HDMI cable I've found my Vizio TV is fine..

It seems like the HDMI port tries to pick the best resolution for the attached screen. Probably limited to those two. I have VLC working for capture at 1440 X 809 (same aspect ratio as 1366 X 768 but 1366 X 768 didn't work). Other software worked when set to capture 1080i but not very good quality. Then with some more playing around with my monitor and Surface resolution the 1920 X 1080 resolution started working and things generally improved. In the end, the settings were back to where they started but.the 1080i setting no longer worked and 1080P did work.

The Black Magic software that came with my capture card now captures good quality video at 1080P setting. But the text is still fizzy.probably because its set to mirror the 1366 X 768 desktop but upscaling to 1920 X 1080. VLC now displays at 1920 X 1080 resolution but a absolutely terrible picture. This is probably because I have an old monitor that doesn't support 1920 X 1080. VLC also still doesn't like 1366 X 768 and still gives me the best results at 1440 X 809.

This is all Mac software and a Black Magic Intensity Extreme for the computer capture hardware.

And another bit or weirdness, at least when trying to use the setup. Setting the display setting to only display the desktop on Display 2 (the external) results in a vary nice picture since it goes out at 1920 X 1080. Even the text looks good. The Start screen is rearranged for the resolution. But then it's hard to control since there's no Surface screen display. Interesting enough, swipes, gestures and taps work provided you know where to tap on the blank screen. Makes for an interesting experience.