RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 108, What do you think ?

diehard

News, forums and two home servers going head to head. This is the home server show and “It’s delightful.” In episode 108 we discuss a lot of news and put a couple of servers head to head. The HP Microserver is not a Windows Home Server out of the box but looks to be a great fit. How does it compare? We could use your help in the forums on this one!

We take a great deal from James Tenniswood’s “Tenniswood Blog review of the HP Microserver,” and HP Microserver vs. Acer h340.

http://www.tenniswood.co.uk/technology/windows-home-server/hp-microserver-vs-acer-h340-performance-comparison/

HomeServerShow found in the blogs.

Ian Dixon’s site, TDL, homeservershow.com podcast can be found on Ian’s podcast list.

UsingWindowsHomeServer.com, Tim Daleo references Dave’s soothing voice, and John’s out-take booming vocals.

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/10/11/htpc-noise-reduction-on-a-friday-night/

AVA Media

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/10/09/ava-media-nvt-for-windows-media-center/

What do you think ?

Great show guys! I was especially interested in the HP MicroServer. I wonder if we could buy just the case somewhere and put in our own board (i.e. Intel Core i3)? I have a request... Last time (show 107) you guys talked about replacing or getting rid of Windows Media Center. This week you mentioned Google TV and I was looking forward to your thoughts on how it would integrate with our Home Servers. Can you guys discuss if Google TV is compatable with WHS next week?

Thanks,

jvk

Great show guys! I was especially interested in the HP MicroServer. I wonder if we could buy just the case somewhere and put in our own board (i.e. Intel Core i3)? I have a request... Last time (show 107) you guys talked about replacing or getting rid of Windows Media Center. This week you mentioned Google TV and I was looking forward to your thoughts on how it would integrate with our Home Servers. Can you guys discuss if Google TV is compatable with WHS next week?

Thanks,

jvk

I'll try and get some info on the compatiblity of a Google TV device and WHS. If your free next Wednesday at 9 pm Central, come and join us in the ustream chat. :)

Also, I was a guest on the BYOB podcast 17, should go live on Sunday. We covered media streamers and such on the devices we had. Unfortunately no one has a Google TV device so it wasn't covered. But the episode might give you some idea's. Thanks again for listening. :P

I'll try to make the U-stream chat this wednesday, I'm finally settled into the new house (at least that is my excuse :)) so I should be able to make it. I'm marking my calendar now. We'll get you guys to 50 yet.

jvk

It's a fun time....I've been in on the last two and a lot of kidding to be sure but still some good info being shared.

Great show guys. Enjoyed as always. Just say the word and we will be glad to come on and talk hardware. The HP microserver is cool but appears to not meet the Vail minimum requirements. Cool way to go if you own WHS and a couple of drives and are looking only for WHS v1.

Great show guys. Enjoyed as always. Just say the word and we will be glad to come on and talk hardware. The HP microserver is cool but appears to not meet the Vail minimum requirements. Cool way to go if you own WHS and a couple of drives and are looking only for WHS v1.

Your right, the specs say that you need a minimum of 160 gig hard drive, so that's possible, and the CPU must be 1.4 ghz or higher. Since the microserver is 1.3, Vail should fail to install. However, I read that if you install from a USB thumb drive using the unassisted method discribed at MediaSmartServer.net, it bypasses the hardware check. INTERESTING. :blink:

Your right, the specs say that you need a minimum of 160 gig hard drive, so that's possible, and the CPU must be 1.4 ghz or higher. Since the microserver is 1.3, Vail should fail to install. However, I read that if you install from a USB thumb drive using the unassisted method discribed at MediaSmartServer.net, it bypasses the hardware check. INTERESTING. :blink:

Even if it does, it makes you think that maybe this will not perform very well on Vail. Atom users struggle and even though this is a bit faster I would think it is still a bit under powered for a Vail server. I sure the the looks of it though.

Even if it does, it makes you think that maybe this will not perform very well on Vail. Atom users struggle and even though this is a bit faster I would think it is still a bit under powered for a Vail server. I sure the the looks of it though.

haha, your right again there, especially with Vail offering streaming, I would look for a more powerful CPU. Also, even though Aurora does not stream, having Active Directory and backing up 25 PC's would be taxing.

I'll wait to see how it preforms in the real world. The benchmarks don't tell the whole story.