RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
schoondoggy

Buying A Phone Before Your Contract Is Up

schoondoggy

Although I am very happy with my Lumia 900 I am considering moving to a Lumia 920. Problem of course is I am only 7 months into my 2 year contract. It looks like my company's contract with AT&T may give me some options, but I wanted to see if any of you had any ideas.

Thanks.

Dave

The 900 still has value too. Sell it after you convert over to the 920 and recoup some of the cost of the 920 if you have to get it full purchase price.

• Like 1

SurfaceNerd

Selling the 900 would be the best option. That way you can get some off that money back. ATT is selling the 920 @ $450 off contract.

Sent from my NOKIA Lumia 920 using Board Express

scoobyx

schoondog, I am in the same boat, although I don't qualify for any discounts through my company so I would be stuck paying the full amount. I was super tempted the day the 920 came out, but that has subsided a little. I think I am going to wait for the 7.8 update before jumping onto something new. Basically, the 900 is solid and has gotten better since I bought it on day-one via the various f/w updates. I think the new start screen that will be coming with 7.8 is going to make the phone "like-new". I know there are some other benefits to upgrading, but I don't know if I can justify the cost right now. Once 7.8 comes out, I will see if it satisfies me enough to wait out the ~1-year I will have left on my contract. I am also a little skeptical over how much I could get for the 900, despite it being in very good condition.

Not to muddy the waters, so-to-speak, but Paul Thurrott spoke very highly of the HTC 8X - if you're thinking of making the jump, that might be worth looking into as well. Personally, I like the Nokia value-add software, but according to him, the HTC hardware is just awesome.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

I agree with your logic and generally I like to wait for all the bugs to work out on a new model before I buy. The only issue I have is my company is moving to a policy that requires phones that support device encryption, Windows phone 8 does, Windows Phone 7 does not.

Hopefully, the policy will be implemented in steps.

scoobyx

Now you're talking! I live on the bleeding edge with tech/gadgets and am primarily not jumping to the 920, off-contract, due to the cost(s) associated with doing so. Trust me, if money were no object, I would have gotten one already. Since your company is driving the change, that's all the excuse you need to make the purchase - at least that would be enough for me. One has to be able to work, right? <eg>

berty6294

I am in a family plan with my grandparents, siblings, and aunt. None of them have smartphones (except for my aunt) and they are all always content with the phones they have so i frequently use their upgrades to get a new phone! :P lol

scoobyx

I am in a family plan with my grandparents, siblings, and aunt. None of them have smartphones (except for my aunt) and they are all always content with the phones they have so i frequently use their upgrades to get a new phone! :P lol

soooooo jealous right now.

kylejwx

In my experience, when you sign up for a phone plan you get a 24 month contract, but they let you upgrade in about 18-20 months. If a new phone every 20 months is too slow for you, then try adding an additional phone line to your account.  Then you can upgrade every 10 months.  If you have a FamilyTalk plan with AT&T you can add a line for $10 a month.  Just make sure that after you get the new smartphone you put an old basic phone on the extra line so you aren't paying for data on it. 

True, this will cost you $240 over two years, but you get to upgrade twice as fast, and the resell value on the phone you replace after 10 months is a lot better than a phone that you replace after 20 months.

Hope this helps.

princevj

Usually you can't come out of the contract until it expire..
you have to put forward a request to your SP and terminating contract will end
up in contract termination fee.. Instead you can simply buy a phone and change carrier by
unlocking your phone from any vendors online like Superunlockcodes.com since terminating fee will cost fortune.