RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Repeated Resets

Simcheck

I've had my Surface RT for approx 1 week. Haven't really had much time to spend with it buthoping to get a lot more familiar with it this weekend (Snow storm!). It is the 64gb model with Type Cover.

Have two questions that I didn't see addressed here in any of the forums:

1) Where or can I adjust the screen timeout. Right now it looks like if there is no activity for 2 min the screen goes dark (no screen saver I guess which is fine). Any way to change it. I'd like to set it to at least 5 min. Also is it normal after some period of time (4-5 min perhaps) that it shuts down completely and I have to reboot it.

2) More importantly if I leave the machine alone for more than around 5 min or and bring up the screen it gives me a message that the computer has encountered a problem and had to reset. Although I've added a few apps this has been occuring since I first got it with original apps. Can't say this happens all the time as I haven't used it a lot but seems to occur perhaps 4 out of 5 times.

Any pointers or advice is appreciated. Think I have another week before I might have to return it no questions asked. I really like it but the fact that if I am not continually interacting with it that I run into the above is more than annoying.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ok I may have sent the above too soon. Didn't realize the RT has standard Power Option settings. Let me play with those to see if it resolves some of my issues. Although still concerned about the constant 'Your PC ran into a problem and had to be reset'

The power options will let you change the timeouts. The reset messages are probably unrelated and I haven't encountered it. If you haven't done too much you may want to do a reset to factory defaults. If you used a MS ID most of your settings will come back, bit you'll lose local data and will need to re-install everything including patches.

• Like 1

What a difference a reset makes! :D The rebooting was happening more frequently on a fairly random basis. So I went ahead and did the system reset and everything seems fine. No more random reboots etc. Suspect my initial setup might have gone bad. Have spent more time over the weekend and getting to like the unit. I'll write a bit more after the weekend. But as i approach my 14 day return policy limit, fairlyconfident I will keep the unit.