RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

D-link

pcdoc

Been a D-Link fan for quite some time now and have been running the standard 5/8 port gigabit switches (DGS-2205/2208) and have been pleased. Couple days ago I need more ports so I bought there new 16 port gigabit switch to replace the 8 port. What surprised me is that the switch is considerably faster than the old one which I did not expect. My speed went from 80-85 using a 20 Gig file to 90-95 just by replacing the switch. Anyway, worked out great as I got more ports, and a speed upgrade to boost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111030

Here is the switch fully installed with everything working. I should have bought the 24 port version.

p1010151m.jpg

It just goes to show that even the dumb things like switches are being improved (which really aren't all that dumb).

I think your new switch has at least double the buffer memory of your old. That probably doesn't hurt, eh? Good thing to bring up as it just goes to show that so many things affect transfer rates.

Absolutely. I had taken those switches for granted and just "assumed" that is was as fast as it gets. Wonder what else I have forgotten or taken for granted...