RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dev

Support For Mkv Video Files

dev

I have a large library of video files in MKV format and would like to use the WinRT os to play it. I can not find a player in the Store to play it.

I use Divx on my Win8 system in desktop mode and that works fine.

Anyone know of a player for MKV files (created with Handbrake using H.264 codec) which would run on Win RT (ie on Surface). H.264 is apparently supported but nothing to play the MKV form. I really do not want to have to convert my whole library.

SurfaceNerd

I am not aware of any at the moment. The RT is pretty locked down as far as the software you can run on it. Basically MSFT wants you to use the Xbox music app for playing videos. You might have to convert if all else fails.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

JVB

There is good news! There is a new app called Mobile.HD Media Player on the store. It plays Divx, and MKV, and h264 formats. It cost $2.49, but you have the option to "try".

• Like 1

oldguru

Second for VLC player,  - just play anything. 

Or you can convert mkv to mp4 file using a video conversion utility like AppGeeker.

once they are mp4 they will then run on your Windows RT.

ctitanic

PowerDVD, so far the best. VLC still has not been released.

JohnTW

PowerDVD works great on my Samsung RT tablet. It streams MKV videos from my DLNA server and plays back flawlessly. Thank you for the recommendation!

JohnFreiman

PowerDVD, so far the best. VLC still has not been released.

I too use and love PowerDVD to play mlv files.  I just wish that it had a more friendly user interface for large collections! Yikes!

between my videos, movies, photos and music it takes forever to even load my content across my network. 

I currently use Explorer to locate and select my video(s) and then allow PowerDVD to play it. 

I too donated to get VLC on 8/RT/Phone, but it's taking a while and their updates are sporadic - but hopeful.

grabbetterlife

You may try this method to play MKV on Surface

This method applies to play VOB, MOV, DVR, WTV, RMVB, DV, DivX, Xvid, Apple ProRes, AVCHD, OGV, MVI, MXF, MOD, TOD, MPEG, SWF and etc on Surface 2 RT or Pro

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer with streaming movie playing (Batman vs Superman – Monitor 1), six VMs loaded and powered up (Hyper-V Manager window open – Monitor 2), and Excel spreadsheet opened crunching 19 years of daily data for multiple graphs (Monitor 3) all using about 49% of installed 32GB RAM.  The disk activity that can be made out on the Task Manager is from the VMs – the Excel spreadsheet is on my home server.
      For the above I had the following connections left to Right:
      1st Monitor attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5DX296/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      2nd Monitor attached to VGA Port
      3rd Monitor attached with HDMI cable via : Passive “4K DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI Adapter by Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI UHD 2K 3D Audio and Video Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord” https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VV26BLB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check out the Thread on PassMark performance: 
      The 2D Graphics Mark was 424.7
      The 3D Graphics Mark was 1211
      The PassMark Analysis has the resolution of all three of my monitors as well as other information it detected about the AMD Radeon R7 Graphics.  I do not have a 4K monitor so I was not able to test that capability.

THIS WAS ALL AFTER I CORRECTED A ERROR I FOUND VERY EARLY ON IN SYSTEMS INFORMATION AND PROBLEM DEVICES
      Systems Information showed a Problem device: ACPI\AMD0020\20 -- to fix that I went to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

The file will look like:

it will take awhile to execute!

Afterwards the Device Manager looked like:

And in System Information the Problem devices will be cleared out:

My setup at the time was:

Running at ~55W with 32GB RAM and two VMs active when I did this.

• IndyLux
      By IndyLux
      The surface has a nice 16:9 screen ideal for watching movies. I plan on using Hulu, Netflix, Xbox video, YouTube, etc for a lot of video on my surface. That being said, we'll also want to take some of our own content. Let's start discussing encoding the best video for the device.

(I'm working from DVDs in Video_ts format and unconverted Blu-ray rips.)

Let's discuss the following:

Program: In the past, I have used Handbrake (www.handbrake.fr) and Windows Media Encoder once or twice. Other thoughts?

Resolution: The Surface RT resolution is 1366x768. Can it output higher res via the HDMI cable? Is this the res we should encode in?

File Format/Container: I was thinking MP4. Other thoughts?

Sound: Probably stereo for the most part.

Other categories?
    • JBresky
      By JBresky
      I got my Surface RT a few weeks after release. Had my husband take one home to Sweden from New York. One thing I still have not got to work well is how to use the SD card in a good way. For example, how do I get media like music and video to show up in the metro/modern interface apps. As Of now I have to open up one song at a time from the file menu and not a playlist or album.
      /Johan
    • missionsparta
      By missionsparta
      Xbox Video sucks just as much as Xbox Music. Would someone PLEASE make a video player that not only does a good job of playing videos, but also organizing them? Right now Xbox Video takes all your movies and tv shows and throws them all into "other". EXPlay was coming along nicely, but still needed improvement to be functional and now the dev has dropped off the planet. We now have StormPlay, which has some bugs, but he is trying and working hard to iron them out. But we need options. It should look nice I'm a metro-way also, and do a good job of putting movies together and then splitting your tv shows into their respective shows and seasons. Like os said before, eXPlay was looking great and used artwork from each movie and show as backgrounds as you searched through them. It got its information from tvdb and IMDB. Unfortunately the API for those sites has changed sometime ago, leaving that app crippled and the dev seems no where to be found. This is ridiculous though that 7 months later, we are asking for basic media organizational abilities. Don't even get me started on Xbox Music.
    • Rob1488993271
      By Rob1488993271
      I have just finished uploading a video of myself unboxing my Encore.

You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWDjheMdTwo

I have linked to Surface Geeks in the description and at the end of the video.

Hopefully it will generate you guys some traffic! 

Haha, I doubt it though, I have never done a YouTube video before 

I did have some problems with McAfee, it is probably worth watching just to see how angry I got.
      Nothing like ranting about that crap software, made me feel better.

Took me 4 hours to upload this video though, man.. I need some better internets. I put it on my friends YouTube account, he is hoping it might get him some traffic too