RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
scoobyx

Problems Listening To Music?

scoobyx

So I ran into something strange yesterday. I had to hop a long flight from Atlanta to CA. The evening before, I loaded a bunch of music (all MP3's that I have listened to before on multiple devices, including my WP7) onto the MicroSD card that I have inserted into my Surface RT tablet. I was surprised and disappointed at what happened next. I couldn't listen to my music! All the music is music I own, DRM free. The couple of albums I tried playing were all ripped from CDs I own.

Basically, within the XBOX Music application, I ended up having to select the option to "Open Files" to even get to the music I loaded. For what it's worth, I went through the instructions referred to in another post (directed to a link from Paul Thurrott) to add the SD card to my various libraries. I was cautious to add the music to the My Music folder. Either way, the XBOX Music app didn't see the music as being there. I suppose that's a different problem for a different day because what actually transpired was much worse.

When I start playing the music, it would skip about 4-5 times. By skipping, I mean, there was a discernible pause of about 1-2 seconds and then the music would resume. The good news was, the file would ultimately play. I chalked this up to the tablet caching something. The bad news is, the second the song was over, I would receive multiple (very loud) blocks of a buzzing sound and then the tablet would never play the next song. I would receive an error that says "Can't Play".

I am worried that because I wasn't online, the tablet was attempting to make a connection to the XBOX service to get album information or whatever and was knocking me out. Has anyone else attempted to play music while "offline"? Has anyone else run into this issue? Any ideas?

osquest1488993265

I've been confused by the XBOX music player too and you seemed to confirm what I thought. All my music from my SD card has the broadcast icon. If I turn off wireless the music doesn't play through the XBOX app even though it's listed. But, if I do a file open and select it from the card it plays just fine. There is a bit of a start up delay for the first song but no skipping. Future songs play fine.

osquest1488993265

Ouch. This just got worse. I was playing around with this some more. I tapped "play album" for a album that is on my SD card. I got a 30 second video ad first. Fine for a free streaming service (I guess) but not cool when it could play the song from the SD card. That was direct through the Xbox app UI, guess it's file open from now on.

SurfaceNerd

That is weird. Although, I do not a SD card, I did add my music from my laptop and that I downloaded via my old Zune Pass and they seem to play fine (even with airplane mode on). I did notice that it took a while for the Xbox music app to sync them into app for it to recognize it. Also, if you look in your music folder in the file explorer, you will see a folder called Xbox Music and it appears that the music needs to be in that particular folder to be able to be played with Xbox Music app and pulled in via the app. Someone correct me if wrong.

You can make that Xbox Music a library and connect the sdcard to that new library and that may work.

osquest1488993265

I don't have an Xbox folder anywhere on my hard drive.

But, I created a new local ID in order to get a new profile and to make sure there wasn't an Xbox service link. The songs play fine from the SD card (through the Xbox music app) even without a network connection and their properties indicate they are local files. I don't have to do a file open to play them, they are in the GUI as expected. Indexing/loading he songs is also. It had 1800+ songs listed in a couple minutes.

So for me, I'll be dropping the Xbox subscription (I just had the free one) and will stick with local files.

osquest1488993265

Alright, this is just bizarre. After my experience above I went back to figure out how to log out of Xbox music. Never found it but I found my SD card music now works correctly (plays locally and when offline). The properties for the music either show "unmatched" or available both local or in the cloud. Nothing really changed. I created the other profile and then came back to the original and haven't made any changes in the original. It's a timing or logout/login fix since my SD card has been in my library for days and I rebooted this morning. Maybe I'm missing something, but it's working.

SurfaceNerd

Alright, this is just bizarre. After my experience above I went back to figure out how to log out of Xbox music. Never found it but I found my SD card music now works correctly (plays locally and when offline). The properties for the music either show "unmatched" or available both local or in the cloud. Nothing really changed. I created the other profile and then came back to the original and haven't made any changes in the original. It's a timing or logout/login fix since my SD card has been in my library for days and I rebooted this morning. Maybe I'm missing something, but it's working.

Are you using a local account or a Microsoft account for your Surface?

osquest1488993265

Are you using a local account or a Microsoft account for your Surface?

Microsoft account. Although things didn't start working as expected until I used a local account one time and then switched back.

SurfaceNerd

Microsoft account. Although things didn't start working as expected until I used a local account one time and then switched back.

That is weird. I haven't ran into these issues and I have been using the MSFT account.

scoobyx

I received an update for the XBOX Music app this morning. After applying it, I was still having some issues with the music app with skipping, etc. I waded through some of the Q&As over at the MS forum and ran across someone who mentioned that they resolved this same issue by uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. I went through the 1-2 minute process and BANG!, everything is working perfectly. Hopefully this helps out anyone else who is plagued by this issue.