RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

View Pictures On Network Drive In Photo`s App

scoob101

Hi Guys!

Got my surface last night, really impressed so far.

I have my photo`s stored on a netowrk drive and I want to be able to view the photos on my surface using the photo app. The photo app wants to see pictures in the tablets pictures library in order to display them on the surface.

I have mapped the network drive where my photos live on the tablet and added this drive to my pictures library. I can see the drive in my pictures library just fine, and browse the picures in explorer.

But I cannot see the pictures in the photo`s app - the library appears empty there.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

I tried the same thing and failed. I also tried creating a sym link from the C: drive to the share and that didn't work either. Seems to be a limitation of libraries. I'm not optimistic but would love for someone to find a way.

I am able to view pictures from my home server using the photos app. Once you add the folder to your pictures library, run the photos app and leave it open. It might take a few minutes for it to update but they should become available.

This was the same way with my music files. I had to keep the Xbox Music app open for them to load into the app. Took a little time as I had quite a bit of music.

I am able to view pictures from my home server using the photos app. Once you add the folder to your pictures library, run the photos app and leave it open. It might take a few minutes for it to update but they should become available.

Can you confirm how you have this setup please? I am thinking you have had better luck than me because your setup is different.

If you confirm your share details, how you added to library, drive mappings and anything else you think is relevent, that would be great!

Here is a picture showing the Pictures Library in Explorer on the Surface.

Thanks very much for sharing this. It looks like you have not assigned a drive letter to the network folder. I`ll try disconnecting the drive mapping and just adding the share direct to the library just using the UNC path.

scoob101 - How are you getting on with this?

I have the same problem getting pictures from a Home Server. Music shows up fine, but pictures, whilst showing in the Library, will not show in the App (no matter how long I leave it).

BTW, it's the same on Windows 8 Pro on a laptop so it's not a Windows RT specific problem.

scoob101 - How are you getting on with thi

I fixed it.

My issue was with the drive mapping. It seems that the libraries doesn't like the drive letter. I removed the network drive from the library, disconnected the drive mapping. Then added the network folder back into the library by browsing to the network folder (so the library shows the folder`s UNC path only).

Once this was done, everything works a treat.

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed it.

My issue was with the drive mapping. It seems that the libraries doesn't like the drive letter. I removed the network drive from the library, disconnected the drive mapping. Then added the network folder back into the library by browsing to the network folder (so the library shows the folder`s UNC path only).

Once this was done, everything works a treat.

How exactly did you fix this? I have my photos on a WHS V1 server in the "Photos" share. I have no problem seeing the photos in the "Pictures" library in my Windows RT Desktop. I've added the "Photos" share to the Pictures library in a number of different ways: Via the UNC path (which some here are reporting fixes the issue), via a mapped drive, and via a symbolic link. No matter what I try I cannot get the Photos App to see my networked photos. Are your photos shared on a WHS V2 machine? Perhaps Server 2003 (which is basically what WHS V1 runs on top of) is the issue? Or did you do something extra to the share permissions?