RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard Drive Going Bad?

StanHD

I installed 2 number WD 1.5Tb EARS drives a couple of months ago. Jumpers are installed as advised elsewhere in the forum.

I recently had problems with the PSU provided with my Tranquil WHS and I believe this has caused the following errors on one of the drives as reported by WHS SMART:-

Bad Sectors:- 145

Pending Bad Sectors:- 46

Reallocation Events:- 3

With "Degraded" against "Reallocated Sectors Count" and a recommendadtion to replace the disk.

I was hoping that the drive is not physically damaged and that the problems were due to loss of power, therefore a "software" repair may be possible?

I have removed the drive from the pool, and temporarily added it as a backup drive so that I can see it in the remote desktop.

I have tried a format from the desktop (not quick format) and the results remain the same.

Any chance that I can "fix" this or should the (nearly new) drive be scrapped?

Have you tried sticking it in another PC? It could be a cable going bad or even the drive controller.

Good point I could try it in my HTPC. But I won't know if this is the problem. The "damage" occured whilst experiencing PSU problems which are now fixed, and there has been no further degradation (@ 3 weeks), which I am guessing would be the same on the other PC?

Try running the WD Diag on the drive. You may be able to go ahead and RMA it.

Sounds like a good idea, I have looked at the WD website but not sure what I need. (I bought the drives OEM so didn't get any software with them). Is it the "Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows" tool?

Thanks

Late to respond. Everyone has given you some good advice to help diagnose it. What kind of problems did you have with PSU? Did it affect anything else? The errors you are seeing are not usually caused by PSU problems and more with the actual drives. Any problems with the other EARS drive? The other thing I would try when you put it in on another system is to remove the jumper and then format it.

Late to respond. Everyone has given you some good advice to help diagnose it. What kind of problems did you have with PSU? Did it affect anything else? The errors you are seeing are not usually caused by PSU problems and more with the actual drives. Any problems with the other EARS drive? The other thing I would try when you put it in on another system is to remove the jumper and then format it.

Not late at all. I noticed the PSU began overheating a while after I added the additional 2 EARS drives. It was the external "brick" supplied with the WHS. A couple of times it flashed it's led indicating an overheat and dropped out. I also had startup failures. I have changed the unit for a 3rd party fan cooled unit which seems to have no problems. (The original was rated at 80w but I read over 70w on boot up). May all just be a coincidence, nothing else appears to be affected, the other drive reports fine.

Update:- Overnight I have run a low level format using a tool from "hddguru" and now have:-

Bad Sectors:- 188 (was 145)

Pending Bad Sectors:- 2 (was 46)

Reallocation events:- 3 (no change)

Didn't get an end of job report as the machine re-booted after applying Windows Updates!!

Currently running WD diagnostics extended test with 4:30:00 to go so will report back later.

Point regarding the jumper noted, it's still on at the moment.

Thanks for the advice.

Are you running that in the same box? The point of moving it to another system is to eliminate any potential problems with the controller an cables to make sure that it is the drive that is problematic, which we can't determine if it is in the same box.