RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Encoding Video For Surface Rt

IndyLux

The surface has a nice 16:9 screen ideal for watching movies. I plan on using Hulu, Netflix, Xbox video, YouTube, etc for a lot of video on my surface. That being said, we'll also want to take some of our own content. Let's start discussing encoding the best video for the device.

(I'm working from DVDs in Video_ts format and unconverted Blu-ray rips.)

Let's discuss the following:

Program: In the past, I have used Handbrake (www.handbrake.fr) and Windows Media Encoder once or twice. Other thoughts?

Resolution: The Surface RT resolution is 1366x768. Can it output higher res via the HDMI cable? Is this the res we should encode in?

File Format/Container: I was thinking MP4. Other thoughts?

Sound: Probably stereo for the most part.

Other categories?

• Like 1

Great topic Lux. My 64GB microSD card arrives tomorrow and I was going to put movies on it and never even considered what format and size. I need to take a look at what size my mobile format is.

Joe_Miner

The surface has a nice 16:9 screen ideal for watching movies. I plan on using Hulu, Netflix, Xbox video, YouTube, etc for a lot of video on my surface. That being said, we'll also want to take some of our own content. Let's start discussing encoding the best video for the device.

(I'm working from DVDs in Video_ts format and unconverted Blu-ray rips.)

Let's discuss the following:

Program: In the past, I have used Handbrake (www.handbrake.fr) and Windows Media Encoder once or twice. Other thoughts?

Resolution: The Surface RT resolution is 1366x768. Can it output higher res via the HDMI cable? Is this the res we should encode in?

File Format/Container: I was thinking MP4. Other thoughts?

Sound: Probably stereo for the most part.

Other categories?

To convert your own DVD's you might look at a combination of AnyDVD-HD with CloneDVD-Mobile

You can roll your own with CloneDVD-Mobile or use one of the many preset file types in final format's like MP4 -- I suspect that they will have an update soon for the Surface to go with their library of presets for iPod, iPad, iPhone, PS, etc.

That's what I've used anyway -- along with DVDFab-Blue-Ray-Ripper for BD's to MP4 conversion. I haven't been as impressed with the DVDFab products in comparison with the SlyFox products but both offer free trial periods so you can check them out.

• Like 1

I can confirm that M4V files work too. I'll post more on this soon, but converted videos look fantastic on this thing! You can even stream them from your other computers or server.

• 3 weeks later...

I was working on this issue over the weekend - trying to get one of the digital copies from a purchased DVD onto my Surface. I searched and found several recommendations on using PavTuve DVD Ripper. I tried the free version and then purchased the full version ($35). PavTube comes with a ton of profiles for different types of devices - everything from iPads to Archos media devices AND includes a profile for the Surface! I tried it and it worked flawlessly - ripped the DVD and converted it to mp4 with the settings for the Surface. It took a little over an hour to rip and convert a 2 hour movie.

.avi seem to be hit or miss. Any RT friendly codec packs? Or maybe apps that play nice with .avi? Any RT converters where I can convert directly on Surface?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer with streaming movie playing (Batman vs Superman – Monitor 1), six VMs loaded and powered up (Hyper-V Manager window open – Monitor 2), and Excel spreadsheet opened crunching 19 years of daily data for multiple graphs (Monitor 3) all using about 49% of installed 32GB RAM.  The disk activity that can be made out on the Task Manager is from the VMs – the Excel spreadsheet is on my home server.
      For the above I had the following connections left to Right:
      1st Monitor attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5DX296/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      2nd Monitor attached to VGA Port
      3rd Monitor attached with HDMI cable via : Passive “4K DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI Adapter by Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI UHD 2K 3D Audio and Video Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord” https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VV26BLB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check out the Thread on PassMark performance: 
      The 2D Graphics Mark was 424.7
      The 3D Graphics Mark was 1211
      The PassMark Analysis has the resolution of all three of my monitors as well as other information it detected about the AMD Radeon R7 Graphics.  I do not have a 4K monitor so I was not able to test that capability.

THIS WAS ALL AFTER I CORRECTED A ERROR I FOUND VERY EARLY ON IN SYSTEMS INFORMATION AND PROBLEM DEVICES
      Systems Information showed a Problem device: ACPI\AMD0020\20 -- to fix that I went to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

The file will look like:

it will take awhile to execute!

Afterwards the Device Manager looked like:

And in System Information the Problem devices will be cleared out:

My setup at the time was:

Running at ~55W with 32GB RAM and two VMs active when I did this.

• osquest1488993265
      By osquest1488993265
      Am I missing something obvious or is Microsoft trying to get us all on Redmond time? I've done three Surface setups and never saw a time zone or location prompt (just a country). I've always had to go in and find the time zone setting and manually adjust it. Seems like a user experience design fail, or a user fail.

In case it's not me, the time zone is in Settings -> Change PC Settings -> General and then it's at the top.
    • theprawn
      By theprawn
      I have seen a lot of critical reaction to the Desktop existing on the Surface RT. The more negative reviewers claim it creates a schizophrenic device that doesn't know its purpose. The more tame (and hopefully common) view is that it's a necessary evil until Microsoft makes "Modern" office apps. I shared this view, initially--mostly while waiting for my Surface RT to arrive in the mail.

Now that I've had it for some time, my view has changed. I am glad the Desktop mode is there. Don't get me wrong, the Modern UI is great and can stand on its own. I spend almost all of my time there and would be a happy Surface owner if that's all there was. More often than not, my Surface is just a tablet--no touch cover, just a great touch optimized device that is better than anything else I've ever owned in every way. But deep down, I know that there is that desktop tile on my start screen... it's not schizo mode, it's power mode.

There are two reasons I love that it's there.

First and foremost, I can live in a simple and wonderful touch interface but I'm a single click away from one of the oldest and most mature file managers in existence. Instantly, I leave an elegant (dumbed down phone-like) interface and have every bit of file-managing power I have on my desktop. And let's be honest, that ribbon interface? The touch points are smaller than in metro apps, but they work and work well for all but the fattest of fingers. I hated ribbon, couldn't comprehend how someone came up with that crap... until I had my Surface. Those years ago when Ribbon took over office (and now explorer), I think this is what they were planning... and I get it. I've used almost every mobile platform out there and a few other tablets and "file managers" are a big deal. If you're on android, there are dozens. If you're on a platform where there aren't any, you'll find users whining left and right in their respective forums. On the RT? You have the mother of file management out of the box. It's not schizophrenia, it's God Mode.

The second reason I appreciate Desktop mode and would be rather upset to see it go is the are those rare but important moments when I decide to do some serious work on my RT. I work mostly on a desktop, but when I travel (or just need to get out of the office), The RT is far more portable than my laptop but when I need to get work done, I can plug in a USB hub with a full mouse, full keyboard, launch office and work like I'm on a full PC. I don't wholly disagree with the sentiment that the Desktop exists to accommodate office, what I disagree with is that office should exist ONLY in the RT UI. I'd love to see "Modern" apps for the office programs to use when I'm using the device as a tablet, but I like knowing that under the hood my most-of-the-time-toy can be a work horse.

These are my sentiments... I apologize for being so wordy, but I'm in desktop mode with a full keyboard. I want to discuss this with other real users--not reviewers with 15 minutes experience. Not (perhaps the vocal majority) non-users who HATE desktop despite having never experienced Windows 8 beyond Chris Pirillos "review". After spending some time with your Surface, do you think the experience would be better or worse if it was pure "modern"?
    • bowulf
      By bowulf
      Surface RT + Touch Keyboard for only $179 -- http://www.wpcentral.com/deal-alert-surface-rt-keyboard

Now it is already OOS according to the comments.  They say they are doing the same special for Black Friday as well for those with MC nearby -- instore only bundle.  This deal didn't last long today, but it is good to see it is coming back for BF.

• JBresky
      By JBresky
      I got my Surface RT a few weeks after release. Had my husband take one home to Sweden from New York. One thing I still have not got to work well is how to use the SD card in a good way. For example, how do I get media like music and video to show up in the metro/modern interface apps. As Of now I have to open up one song at a time from the file menu and not a playlist or album.
      /Johan