RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

deleting Backup Dbase question

Gadgmeister

Hi guys i have an issue with my 2003 server, i am running out of room and backups marked for deletion refuse to delete, Cleanup backup also fails shortly after starting, a Dbase Repair seems to complete without errors but non the less the backups refuse to budge

apart from that all is well and backups continue each night from 3 pc`s without a problem

So after reading around i believe i have a Dbase error which needs resolving, I have read the M/s article on how to delete the Dbase and i am not fussed if i loose my backups ( as long as my Pc`s behave for a few hours whilst this is worked on ) but i do have a question.

The server also houses a few folders that are not part of the backup process, these folders contain Info from my old NAS and are very large, i would like to keep these folders and NOT loose the data they contain

If i delete the server Backup Dbase will these folders remain untouched ??

Sorry if this is an obvios answer to you guys but this is the first time i have needed to run this method of cleanup

Thanks for any replies

Gadge

If these folders are stand alone shares, they should not be effected by deleting your backup database. Just make sure they the data you want to protect is on separate share.

If these folders are stand alone shares, they should not be effected by deleting your backup database. Just make sure they the data you want to protect is on separate share.

Ah... Ok... so how would i go about checking / doing that pcdoc , a seperate share does not compute in my brain as i am not fully conversant with server software, sorry but i am a relative newbee and light user of server software

There are several ways to check. The easiest way is double click on the Shared Folders Icon on that was created when installed the connector software. If what you saved is listed as a folder (i.e.; "Gadgmeister's Stuff" you should be OK. If however it is part of a PC that you are backing up, you have a problem. If you are not sure, create a new shared folder from you console with the proper user rights, and copy all of the critical data to it. Deleting backup does not delete shares that are created on the server but they have to have been created as a share.