RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID. TRIM. SSD.

dvn

I would only use the MFG utilities just to be safe. Version 10 is "supposed to" support Trim directly on RAID. If you are feeling courageous, and in the mood to experiment, you can try those.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

I just updated to v9.6.0.1014 @ 3/3/2010.

I hear you on only using mfg utilities, and I may end up paying for it, but I think from looking around that I'm comfortable with using a Secure Erase utility. If I can find one that actually runs on my system.

Regarding v10 - where are you seeing it? Because the only place I've found is some site that's in French.

I just updated to v9.6.0.1014 @ 3/3/2010.

I hear you on only using mfg utilities, and I may end up paying for it, but I think from looking around that I'm comfortable with using a Secure Erase utility. If I can find one that actually runs on my system.

Regarding v10 - where are you seeing it? Because the only place I've found is some site that's in French.

Have you tried the site I posted earlier.

http://thessdreview.com/latest-buzz/intel-releases-new-rapid-storage-technology-drivers/

I installed the beta Rapid Storage Driver - v10.0.0.1046. Using CDM, I'm seeing consistent increase in 4K Reads/Writes of ~8% for Reads and ~30% for Writes. The other areas of the benchmark have stayed about the same.

Here's the latest ATTO bench. Overall, the best one yet.

ATTOonBETAaftr5hridle.png

At this point, I think I'll image with Acronis, break the RAID and wipe the SSD's, recreate the RAID0, and stick the image back on to see what benches look like from a fresh start with this beta driver.

*Here's a link to an article about Write Amplification which mentions the use of Secure Erase to restore SSD's to their original speed. That's not to say there isn't something more to a manufacturer's utility, but it is what a lot of people seem to be using, or talking about, at least.

Very impressive. I assume you are doing this on a test system? Are you going try the clean erase on the drives before putting back the image? I am tempted to try this as well in the near future. Your benchmarks inspired me to give this a shot on my next build. Keep posting your updates, good stuff.

Guest no-control

nice numbers those are on par with my indilinx RAID 0 setup (slighly better actually). I haven't had much performance loss that I can tell from not having TRIM. Yeah some manf. have utilities and simply writing the drive to 0's works as well. TRIM is on the fly though which is nice.

I've done a bad thing. hahah...I defragged the RAID SSD to see what the performance hit was. ATTO didn't seem to care too much, but CDM random fill saw a hit to Writes. CDM 0-fill and 1-fill were about what they were except for the 4K Writes. Those were down ~20%.

Since I'm running the beta Rapid Storage driver which is supposed to actually support TRIM in RAID, I'll watch and see if the drive recovers any Write speeds. If not:

>Acronis image backup

>break RAID

>Secure Erase using the 'Erase Disk' tool on Parted Magic - *thank you Mushkin tech support for this info

>recreate RAID

>re-initialize disk

>Acronis image restore

...back to original speeds.

Yes, I learn a lot things that way. I'm the guy who once attempted to mod his Windows 95 kernel32 file - big mistake, which was followed by a tedious half-day reinstallation. Thank goodness for tech support (my brother) on that one. :) Poor guy bailed me out countless times that first year, but then he was the one that insisted I break down and buy a computer in the first place, so... :P