RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID. TRIM. SSD.

dvn

Just bought a new SSD - a 60 GB Mushkin Callisto Enhanced. Nice specs, seems zippy enough. RAID support is a listed feature. I did some checking up on that and basically it's something like this: TRIM support will not be affected when you RAID a couple other drives. NOT including the SSD.

If that is correct, then I have a couple questions:

Is TRIM support coming for SSD's in RAID?

If anyone is RAID'ing SSD's now, how are they dealing with garbage collection?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

Is TRIM support coming for SSD's in RAID?

Some hardware RAID controllers already include support for this. I have no idea when software RAID will catch up. As far as RAID support in the drive itself? I think that's just marketing around the Sandforce controller's low write amplification numbers.

It is more like drivers support. The requirement are that both of your drives should be the same, same firmware, and of course support trim. Following that, it must be supported by the controller/driver which "I believe" right now is limited to intel. It is fairly new as remember that trim is supported by native OS drivers but once you enter raid software the dynamics change. Personally I would not go there at least if you expect RAID.

My bad, pcdoc is correct. Intel is currently the only manufacturer that supports "Trim pass-thru", but this only affects SSDs connected to Intel RAID controllers as a JBOD device. Other manufacturers, like LSI, currently support a different set of technologies where the controller recognizes connected SSDs and manages them differently. It's not TRIM, per se, but its still useful.

I'm glad you guys are covering SSD a lot because I just got a request to build a higher end system and will quote the OS drive with SSD. I'm thinking the best and fastest drive for it. No bargain basement drives. Maybe even a couple in a raid setup for a data drive. Should be a fun build.

I'm glad you guys are covering SSD a lot because I just got a request to build a higher end system and will quote the OS drive with SSD. I'm thinking the best and fastest drive for it. No bargain basement drives. Maybe even a couple in a raid setup for a data drive. Should be a fun build.

I have another 60 GB Mushkin Callisto Enhanced Deluxe (man, what a mouthful, eh?) on the way. I plan to RAID it with the other MCED I just purchased for use as the system drive in my desktop PC. It's not so much the added speed as the capacity I am after, and I can definitely get away with 120 GB for the system drive.

So, any thoughts how I'll be able to manage TRIM functions since TRIM does not currently work in RAID?In other words, what about the garbage collection? How do I manage that? What other problems might I see?

When I do this, I'll also be replacing my faithful ol' BFG 680i DDR2 ATX mobo with a Gigabyte Socket 775 DDR3 ATX mobo that pcdoc brought to my attention a few months back. Not ready to toss my Q9550 overboard just yet. Among other reasons, I'm upgrading so I'll have AHCI, which provides the added benefit of using NCQ for command buffering. And, hopefully my drive supports that.

Edited by dvn

DVN/Dave,

If you guys are really going to go down the raid path, you will be limited to Intel controllers using a beta drivers for trim support which can be risky. My suggestion is go with one drive for now, then as the drivers stabilize you can upgrade especially if this is going to a customer.

http://thessdreview.com/technology/intel-releases-new-rapid-storage-technology-drivers/

DVN/Dave,

If you guys are really going to go down the raid path, you will be limited to Intel controllers using a beta drivers for trim support which can be risky. My suggestion is go with one drive for now, then as the drivers stabilize you can upgrade especially if this is going to a customer.

http://thessdreview.com/technology/intel-releases-new-rapid-storage-technology-drivers/

Ha! I am not afraid! :P

Actually, I might be just a little concerned. But I'll definitely end up trying this config (if I can manage it) since my new mobo has the Intel ICH10R controller. *fingers crossed* + Acronis + WHS = go for it!